Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm cat sitting for three weeks: a 5 year old who is on a restricted calorie diet who previously had too acidic urine, then too basic, then correct pH. The kitten is around 12 weeks old, just got neutered, and eats kitten food. They free feed, and didn't have a problem with the older one eating kitten food until they left town.

I talked to the vet, and the parents, and removed the kitten food last night, leaving the restricted calorie food out. Today, I left canned food for the kitten (adult won't eat it) and restocked the low calorie. I'm concerned that the kitten won't get adequate nutrition with this regimen. If I lived closer, I'd go over twice a day instead of once a day.

I'm wondering if I should bring the kitten home to provide more quality food. There isn't adequate ventilation/circulation to keep them in separate rooms in their current home with the hot weather we're having. Also, I'm concerned with removing the kitten for 2+ weeks and then re-introducing them. They play together, so I worry about the separation as well!

Any suggestions are appreciated! I want to do what's best for both kitties!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Light food is not adequate for a kitten long term, but if you can supplement the little guy with the canned, for only two weeks it shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! We are giving him healthy canned every visit. Tried separating them when temperatures cooled off a bit, but he got out of the room. His big brother probobly pushed the door in, maybe turned the knob, who knows. They sure are smart! Connie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts