Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitten is almost 10 months old. She has started getting pretty heavy. I took her to the vet a couple of weeks ago to be weighed and she weighed 8.5 lbs. She's not a long cat. One of the gals here at the office works weekends at Petco. She said to switch her over to adult food. Do you agree? I had thought I'd wait for 2 more months, but she seems to be getting awfully heavy. I think she's gained more weight in the last few weeks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just called my vet and she said start switching her to adult formula. She said that at 9 lbs. she's a little overweight.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
You don't have to keep them on kitten food until they are exactly one years old. It wouldn't hurt to change your cat over now since weight seems to be an issue, which to me doesn't even seem like they're all that overweight.... <<))

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
The vet recommended I change Elly to adult food when she was four months old. (I couldn't keep Punky out of the kitten food.) So you'll be just fine. :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
The time to switch depends on the particular cat. It's different for all of them. And some cats at all ages stay on one formula that's good for kitten and adult.
No you don't have to wait until exactly one year, you can switch if needed when the time comes, whatever that age might be :)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I would recommend kitten food until the age of six months. After the age of six months adult food is OK. Many cats become overweight just because they get kitten food a little bit to long and for many cats 12 months is to long.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Peanut was just spayed at 6mos and at her checkup I asked the vet this very question. He said she could go on adult food anytime and he recommended Light Adult Food b/c a spay decreases the caloric needs quite a bit. So, we've mixed ins ome Adult Light w/her kitten food which should last a few weeks, maybe til she's 7 mos old.

Our little baby is growing up!! :cry:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts