Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone .
Well I started my 10 month old female on blue buffalo dry food when I got her and she loves it .
Recently we added a 5 month old male who was given wet food .
So I started putting out a little of both hoping the male would try the dry food .
Unfortunately he wouldnt go near the dry food but the female started eating the wet food and started having diareaha.
So i took away the wet food and started mixing plain cooked chicken with a little dry food .
The male eats the chicken and leaves the dry food .
Then I started taking the dry food and wetting it and crushing it up and I mix in a little nutri-stat and he started eating that a little bit but still will not go near the dry food .
Now the female just eats the dry food and the male eats the crushed dry food with the nutri-stat mixed in but he does not seem to be eating enough of it .
I also feel bad giving something different to the male and nothing to the female .
Id like to have them both strictly on the dry food .
Will he eventually give in or is he always gonna be a pain lol .
I have tried other dry foods but they dont seem to sit well with the females stomach .
If anyone has any suggestions or ideas It would be very helpful .Thank you so much ..

· Registered
104 Posts
Unfortunately he wouldnt go near the dry food but the female started eating the wet food and started having diareaha.
< snip >
Id like to have them both strictly on the dry food .
Why do you want to put them on a strictly dry diet? There's good evidence that a wet diet is much better for them, so you might want to reconsider that decision.

Which wet food(s) did you offer, that seemed to trigger diarrhea in your female?

· Registered
1,138 Posts
It is probably better to let him eat the canned and separate them when you feed them for a while. It took a few weeks to transistion my cats to wet food. (I still give them a little under 1/4 cup dry food also). They also had loose stools at first going from dry to canned. Just let her have 1/4 can at a time plus the dry for a week or two and then you can increase it. I know the dry is convenient, but the wet will be better for them healthwise.

· Registered
1,222 Posts
Wet food is much better for them nutritionally. I would recommend feeding the older cat small amounts of wet food to get her body used to it and then switch them to a wet diet, with dry as a treat if you still wanted to give some dry. My guys used to be pretty much dry food only and they did get diarrhea at first, especially when I brought in a new brand. Feeding in small amounts to begin with sould help this though. Maybe give her one spoon then her dry food and gradually increase the amount of wet and decrease the dry you are giving. I wouldn't mix the wet and dry though, offer them in separate bowls if you can.

· Banned
17 Posts
Wet food is much better for them nutritionally. I would recommend feeding the older cat small amounts of wet food to get her body used to it and then switch them to a wet diet, with dry as a treat if you still wanted to give some dry. My guys used to be pretty much dry food only and they did get diarrhea at first, especially when I brought in a new brand. Feeding in small amounts to begin with sould help this though. Maybe give her one spoon then her dry food and gradually increase the amount of wet and decrease the dry you are giving. I wouldn't mix the wet and dry though, offer them in separate bowls if you can.
That is the right way.
Studies showed that a cat with dry food, has to drink a minimum of 300 ml of water. Can you make sure that your cat drinks so much?
A few days of diarrhea are much better then years of problems with the kidney I think.
So think a bit of the idea with the dry food. :wink:

· Registered
41 Posts
im feeding my sonic wet canned food and even then im still mixing in water before feeding him~
my vet says its even ok to make their food into porridge-like state to ensure they get enough hydration as they are really low thirst creatures~

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello
The reason I want them on the dry food is because most of the research I have done thus far has led me to believe that dry food is just as healthy if not more healthy than wet food . I have found many different opinions on this and the most of them tend to lean towards dry food .
I give them blue buffalo which is one of the best on the market .

· Banned
17 Posts
Hello,
a cat is a carnivore, so it needs meat. In the dry food there are most of all vegetable proteins. Thats the first. The second is, that in dry food is not enough water. So it can cause problems with the kidneys, because a cat is unaccustomed to drink.
The positive influence for the teeth is not to see, my cat wouldn´t bite the pieces.
And as last, your cat will get faster fat because of the vegetable proteines, for that the intestine of a cat isn´t made.
Only my two cents.

· Super Moderator
27,274 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Hello
The reason I want them on the dry food is because most of the research I have done thus far has led me to believe that dry food is just as healthy if not more healthy than wet food . I have found many different opinions on this and the most of them tend to lean towards dry food .
Really? Huh. Can you point to where that information is coming from? We all want to do "best" by our cats, and if you've got information that the rest of us don't, I'm sure we'd all love to see it! I know I would; everything I've been able to find says, or at least support, the opposite conclusion (i.e. "wet food is far better than dry food for cats"), but maybe you've found some source of information that I've been missing?

· Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
Ibbaca,

Lots of vets here still push dry food. Hills sponsors them and gives them free food.

From Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Marketing labels such as "natural", or "premium", or "veterinarian recommended" are not necessarily indicative of high quality so please be careful not to fall into that trap.

Note that the labels on Hill's-manufactured products contain a statement that says "Veterinarian Recommended".

Unfortunately, many of my colleagues do, indeed, recommend products made by Hill’s (and Purina) and this is a testament to the fact that most veterinarians are not well-versed in proper feline nutrition and simply defer to companies like Hill’s and Purina - companies with huge marketing budgets. These large budgets include substantial sums of money dedicated to sponsoring - including very heavy advertising - our professional meetings and infiltrating veterinary schools to get students ‘married’ to their products.

Keep in mind that a large marketing budget does not equate with the manufacturing of high quality or healthy products.

· Registered
104 Posts

I do know that, unfortunately :( I was just wondering what stangone meant specifically by "research I have done thus far". Just wanted to make sure there's not actual information out there that I'd been missing (or that's floating around in the public sphere without appropriate criticism :wink ).

· Registered
41 Posts
Hello
For me its the exact opposite...most of the research i have done points me to raw or wet is > dry food~

· Registered
17 Posts
My boyfriend and I feed our cats Natural Balance and they all love it, even my picky eaters. I personally buy their green pea & salmon dry food, the matching cans, and their grain-free Platefulls pouches, which are a big hit. I’d totally recommend this food as my babies have never gotten tired of the taste.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.