Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a four month old rescue kitten, got her a few weeks ago, very standoffish to begin with but came round & we could give her cuddles, she’d fall asleep in or arms etc, has suddenly become very aggressive towards me & only me & is urinating on the sofa & in the kitchen sink but also using her litter tray with no problem. Any advice greatly appreciated 😭

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hi V. Good job adopting a kitten! Kits have a ton of energy and need to burn it off, so several play sessions with things like wand-toys and cat-kickers several times a day may help. Also, if the urinating outside the box continues, you could take her to the Vet for a thorough check-up. If all is well, it may be anxiety issue which we might be able to help you with. Let us know how you're doing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for reply. She’s been to the vets twice, no urine infection etc. Said possibly cystitis so put her on the normal Loxicam 🤷🏼‍♀️ Doesn’t seem to have a problem going to the toilet just seems to want to do it everywhere!
As for the aggression, doesn’t start with me straight away, she’s happy enough to be petted or for me to play with her but then just suddenly changes & runs from the other end of the room & dives for my face or will jump up beside me, eyes black, ears pinned to head & bite my arm or shoulder?

·
Super Moderator
26,880 Posts
There's a litter called Cat Attract which a lot of members here have had good luck with. As for the attack issue, when the twins were younger, I would just put them down away from me. Cats do not like being ignored.

Since you don't know her background, she could still have some bad habits from wherever she was kept before you adopted her. When I took Cleo home, I discovered she absolutely hated being picked up or touched on her legs or feet. Long story short, she spent the first year of her life with a total little brat who used to swing her around by her legs/feet.

Good luck with your kitty!

Reactions: miscellaneous

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hiya thanks for your reply.
We got her at 14 weeks from a lovely woman who has been fostering cats for years so I’m confident no issues or ill treatment would’ve come from her. She was the only girl in a litter of 5. She actually seems a bit crazy! Absolutely nothing bothers her, no noise no smells - citrus, spices, onions etc she doesn’t jump away or react to anything if she knocks anything down, she’s a bit of a strange one. She’s absolutely dying to get outside so hoping maybe that’ll help 🤷🏼‍♀️

·
Super Moderator
26,880 Posts
Okay, before people start in on the whole inside/outside debate, we're one of the few countries who believes, for the most part, that cats should be inside only. So no judging, please.

It does sound like she had a great foster home.

Kittens are crazy. Your cat sounds like my Cali. I tried using a spray bottle when she got up on the counter and Cali would just squeeze her eyes shut, wait for the spray, then continue on. I rehomed the spray bottle.

I would still say to distract her with toys or ignore her (I'm pretty sure she'll grow out of that behavior), and try the Cat Attract litter for the peeing issue.

Good luck with your kitty! (name and picture?)

This is how I unintentionally deterred Cali from drinking out of my glass: (Baileys, not milk)

Cat Felidae Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats Whiskers

normal Cali face

Cat Eye Felidae Carnivore Iris

·
Super Moderator
26,880 Posts
OMGosh she's gorgeous!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I am one who advocates for NOT letting cats go outside. It is dangerous for the cats, and can be devastating to the bird population, so I will suggest keeping her inside.

My cat liked to bite sometimes. I mostly trained him not to by putting him in another room whenever he did that. Or, if I saw him coming with that look on his face, I would go into another room and close the door. He did learn that he wasn't going to be able to get to me at all if he behaved that way.

As for the urination, it's important to clean those areas where she has gone very thoroughly with enzymatic cleaners that are specially designed to eliminate cat odors. As long as she can still smell it (and remember, they can smell it even if you cannot) she will think it's OK for her to go there.

I would also, if you can, block off those areas from her access. Sometimes just preventing the issue for a few weeks will reset the mind of the animal and let the problem fade away.
I agree with trying the Cat Attract litter, and also the Cat Attract stuff you can sprinkle onto the litter. And, if you only have one cat box, add two more of them, all to be kept clean as much of the time as is possible considering your own schedule. You won't always have to have that many boxes to clean, but it may very well help to change the behavior.

If you are home and see her using the litter box, praise her and give her a treat to reinforce that it's a good thing to use the box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am sure you are trying your best to be patient with your kitten. She is probably feeling restless because she is separated from her mother and siblings. You can try keeping her occupied with lots of play time with toys. Also, try changing her diet to wet food. That will provide extra moisture for her. If she is still urinating on your furniture, you can try putting something that smells like you, like an old shirt, in the areas where you have seen her doing that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m not a fan of letting my cat outdoors, my last cat had 17 happy years inside but if they want out they want out. I can’t open any windows cause she’s hanging off them trying to get out! She’s on wet food with added water. I use the Enzyme spray for cleaning. She’s had multiple litter trays, only ever uses the original one, tried different litter. She has been praised for using the tray since we got her. Litter tray that she does like to use is in a quiet spot away from anything.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm wondering if she's getting too much water. Usually wet food hydrates cats very well so the added water may be too much for her too hold in. If you do decide to stop adding extra water, watch her litterbox to make sure she's peeing enough and adjust accordingly. Some cats are really finicky about their litter, so scoop the box several times a day to keep it as clean as possible.

I only use a time-out if someone is in danger of getting hurt. The "attack" on you may just be her way of wanting to play. It sounds like she's playing with you as she would with another cat, but it's up to us to teach them how to interact with humans. My little lunatic used to do the same thing and ignoring her didn't work, so I got a bunch of chew toys and cat-kickers, kept them close by, immediately tossed one to her when she became overly-aggressive to redirect her, followed up with treats and lots of praise when she went after the toy instead of me. We gradually phased out the treats and now give her lots of praise whenever she's behaving appropriately. You've got to catch them being good!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Okay, before people start in on the whole inside/outside debate, we're one of the few countries who believes, for the most part, that cats should be inside only. So no judging, please.

It does sound like she had a great foster home.

Kittens are crazy. Your cat sounds like my Cali. I tried using a spray bottle when she got up on the counter and Cali would just squeeze her eyes shut, wait for the spray, then continue on. I rehomed the spray bottle.

I would still say to distract her with toys or ignore her (I'm pretty sure she'll grow out of that behavior), and try the Cat Attract litter for the peeing issue.

Good luck with your kitty! (name and picture?)

This is how I unintentionally deterred Cali from drinking out of my glass: (Baileys, not milk)

View attachment 132153

normal Cali face

View attachment 132154
While we've discussed indoor/outdoor cats before and I'm aware that people in other countries have different views about it than I do, I don't feel that I or anybody here is judging anybody if we suggest keeping their cat indoors, especially when they're having a problem they can't figure out.

·
Super Moderator
26,880 Posts
Definitely okay for your example. But you have no idea - it used to get really ugly and mean here, members telling people they don't love their cats if they let them out, they should rehome them, etc. And many people in the US don't realize letting cats out is the norm for most other countries, so I think mentioning that fact once in a while doesn't hurt. It was really meant to head off people from focusing on that one fact. I've never let my girls out, yet all of them have escaped at one time or another. Heart stopping for me.

When I moved into a new cul-de-crap, they discovered the feral family outside. I had Cox Cable and my girls had Feral TV. (My neighbor and I fed them and he trapped all of them and got them fixed with the help from the County.)

Cat Couch Felidae Comfort Carnivore

Reactions: miscellaneous

·
Registered
366 Posts
Definitely okay for your example. But you have no idea - it used to get really ugly and mean here, members telling people they don't love their cats if they let them out, they should rehome them, etc. And many people in the US don't realize letting cats out is the norm for most other countries, so I think mentioning that fact once in a while doesn't hurt. It was really meant to head off people from focusing on that one fact. I've never let my girls out, yet all of them have escaped at one time or another. Heart stopping for me.

When I moved into a new cul-de-crap, they discovered the feral family outside. I had Cox Cable and my girls had Feral TV. (My neighbor and I fed them and he trapped all of them and got them fixed with the help from the County.)

View attachment 132160
Thanks for explaining, Marie. I didn't realize previous people had been that nasty about it, so your heads-up was a good idea. We've had an escapee too and it is terrifying! But it's always heart-warming to hear that people like you are watching out for those who are lost or don't have a home. Cute pix!

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Some cats are naturally aggressive, either because they were taken away from momacat and litter mates too early, and missed their important 3 months of socialization and manners, and controlling their bite. It's difficult to get them changed from attacking and bitting. But as already suggested, having a toy or ping pong ball handy in your pocket, when you see that ears back and eyes black signalling an attack throw the ball away from you. If she ignores the ball, stamp your food hard on the floor and walk to another room and close the door. Don't give her the satisfaction of biting you. Give her vigorous play time with a wand toy at least twice a day. Introduce her to interactive toys, e.g. flood puzzle. Switch her toys around so she doesn't get bored with one. When she is being a "good girl" tell her this and give a treat. She should gradually shift her attitude about you, and realize you're the source of food (always feed her meals, don't leave food down for her to nibble whenever she wants A lot of cats enjoy being groomed with a comb----start at the good spots, like her cheeks and top of her head, avoid the tummy area as that may be too stimulating, run the comb along her back instead. If she starts getting restless, bitey, then stop, give a few strokes with you hand on her fave spots, and tell her "good girl!" and give her a treat. She may enjoy it so much that when she sees you with a comb she'll come to you and want the grooming. Worth a try, and all the best!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts