Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I even start I will say that I will be taking this cat to the vet asap. But I wanted some opinions, as always, from those who may have had this same thing in the past.

This morning I noticed a lump on his back, close to his butt. It feels like a swollen gland feels. Kind of hard, but kind of soft too. And it is the same shape as one, pretty close to the same size too. It is not tiny.

I thought it might be vaccine related. He just got his first RV a month ago. However I cannot imagine them administering it in this spot.

The spot in this pic is exactly where his lump is: Vaccine-Related Sarcoma

He is still a kitten... about 10 months old. I have read a million things a lump can be ranging from a cyst or infection from playing to cancer. What do you think?

PS: It does not seem to hurt him. He is squirmy when I touch it but he is squirmy when I touch him period so it's nothing weird.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I wouldn't jump to sarcoma right away....has he been playing with other cats? Could be an abscess from a scratch (easily treatable with antibiotics). Let us know what the vet says. All the best with your kitty.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree it not likely to be cancer... the cat is only 10 months and as for the RV, that is not where the shot was given.

If it is from play, you think it will last long? I wanted to give it a few days and see if anything changed before rushing to the vet for "no reason".

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Some abscesses, if this is what it is, will start to drain. The fur will be wet. Soaking several times a day with salt water will help it to drain. But on the other hand, it may not drain externally, but internally and result is Septicemia (blood poisoning) , which could spread to organs and can be fatal if not treated. First signs of septicemia is cat going off its food, lethargy and fever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts