Cat Forum banner

Kitten with severe worm infestation

Tags
worms
2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  eldercat 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

This is for a friend of mine. She got a kitten 3 days back in an abandoned state. The kitten was not walking and had a bloated stomach. She fed him milk with a syringe, but he just got worse and finally started to twitch. He is not pooping and fluid is also coming out of his mouth. We showed a doctor today at her home as the hospital was closed, and she advised to try getting him to pass stool by giving laxative, and afterwards give the dewormer. But its been like 3 hours now, and the laxative seems to have no effect. Is there any other advice someone has to offer?
Many thanks

#2 ·
Was it a vet doctor? What laxative did you administer? If this wasn’t a vet doctor then you need to see one immediately.

#3 ·
Yes we showed a vet. But it was past hospital timings so we have to wait till tomorrow morning for more detailed checkup. Update - the kitten has got weaker. The lady is giving cremaffin but she suspects the medicine is not going down as there is fluid constantly coming out of his mouth. I feel things have gone too far for him. Poor baby

#6 ·
Sorry for the late reply. Though I had zero hope, the kitten survived to the following day, and he was showed at the hospital where he tested positive for worms. Unbelievably, he had not passed any stool but his bloated stomach had emptied considerably, perhaps because of all the fluid that had leaked out through his mouth the previous day. The twitching was also better, and was happening far in between. The doctor has prescribed a 5-day gradual deworming schedule.

#7 ·
Thanks for your update. I’ve been thinking about the little one all day. I’m so happy to hear the great news. I hope he continues to improve. Does he have a name yet?

Larry

#8 ·
Hi Larry
Sorry for not replying earlier. Sadly I have no good news..
The kitten died on the 5th day of starting medication. They had named her Vava, which means 'baby' in our language.Though they are good people and loved the kitten dearly, they were simple people who struggled to make ends meet. And their home was far away from the hospital, so by the time they made the time to show the kitten again to the doctor, it was too late.

This is not the first time I am seeing kittens die of worms, but I haven't seen such symptoms of twitching and paralysis due to worms before. I have learnt (the hard way) that one must deworm kittens whilst they are healthy, because once worms bring them down, often the dewormer proves to be too toxic for their weakened bodies,

#9 ·
Hi
Thanks for the update. Last night I was thinking about her. It breaks my heart that she passed away. I was hoping she was doing well. I’m glad that Vava was not alone but with a family that loved her and tried to help. I hope they will continue to help others out there.

Regards
Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.