Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my new kitten to the vet today for a health exam and to hopefully start her vaccinations. I was a little bit worried because she's been sneezing a lot and had quite a lot of nasal discharge. Turns out she has an upper respiratory infection. The vet told me we caught it pretty early and so far it hasn't affected anything but her nose. She's still eating and drinking and using her litter box. She's also still playing with her toys. The vet gave her a Convenia shot as well as Enisyl-F 100 ml twice a day. So! Is there anything else that I can do to help with her nasal discharge? She seems really uncomfortable. Also, what kind of side effects are normal for the medications she has? Thanks :)!

· Registered
317 Posts
My favorite thing to do was showertime. I'd take a nice hot shower and then lock Pinky in there with me, that helps clear the nasal discharge a little. Also, when you see the crusties take a soft warm damp cloth and wipe them away gently. Cats usually don't like that, but it helps a lot. Snuggle, Please for the love of everything snuggle that cat! She's not feeling well, and just like little kids, she needs some love while she's sick. URI's are not fun. Even though we caught Pinky's early, she still had to extend her Clavomax for two more weeks because it was NOT giving up. She hasn't had any problems since then.
Also, this could be one of many. The majority of feilnes have Feline Herpes, which can cause multiple URI's. A tip you will get from almost everyone is to buy L-Lysine supplements and putting it on your cat's food. It won't harm them either way, but it helps with keeping Herpes at bay. I don't think Pinky has Feline Herpes, but we give her L-Lysine anyways.
I'm glad you caught it early and I hope you don't have to deal with everything me, my Fiance and Pinky had to deal with. Hers was caught early but escalated quickly. She ended up with two nosebleeds and the Vet says there may be a little damage, but I haven't noticed despite that Pinky snores a little.
Keep doing all that you are doing and if she starts getting nosebleeds call the vet ASAP. I called and the technician told me that as long as it was small, like hers were, not to take her in yet but keep an eye out.
I hope your little fur baby starts feeling better soon.

P.S. Pinky says she hopes your baby starts feeling better too, she just jumped on my lap and trilled at the screen. :p

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will have to try the shower thing tomorrow morning. I've been trying to wipe away the crusties and she definitely doesn't like it one bit :p! She is a huuuuge cuddle bunny so giving her teh luvs has been easy.
I will be looking into the L-Lysine for sure! Thank you for all of your advice! Bella appreciates it :D!

· Registered
4,065 Posts
So I took my new kitten to the vet today for a health exam and to hopefully start her vaccinations.
I trust the vet did NOT administer any vaccines while your kitten is ill with a URI.

She's still eating and drinking and using her litter box.
The steamy bathroom trick is a very good one for draining her sinuses. I recommend putting her in a steamy bathroom twice daily for 15-30 mins if she's stuffy. This is particularly helpful if she loses her appetite. Cats won't generally eat what they can't smell, so if she does lose her appetite, feed her immediately after a steam treatment while her sinuses are open.

The vet gave her a Convenia shot as well as Enisyl-F 100 ml twice a day.
Convenia is a long-acting antibiotic. Like most antibiotics, it may cause digestive upset, diarrhea, etc. It would be a good idea to buy a probiotic (at a pet store or health food store) and sprinkle a little into her food once daily for the next couple of weeks to repopulate the beneficial gut bacteria that the antibiotic will be killing off.

Enisyl-F is L-lysine, so you don't have to worry about buying any other L-lysine source. L-lysine is just an amino acid. It has no negative side effects that I know of. It inhibits the replication of the herpesvirus (herpesvirus is the most common feline URI), making it easier for the cat's immune system to fight off the infection.

Laurie

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually did look at the ingredients of the Enisyl-F after the first reply on here and was excited to see it had the L-Lysine in it already ;)!
Also, the vet did NOT give her the vaccinations.
Laurie - Thank you for the advice regarding the Convenia!

· Registered
3,181 Posts
I'm glad to hear that your vet didn't vaccinate her! Make sure you wait until she's completely cleared up before she does get her shots. Fighting off an infection while her immune system is also trying to deal with a shot is too rough on little kitten bodies.

Give her lots of snuggles, and enjoy the steamy bathroom time :) Jitzu hates that part of her treatment...but it helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.