Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know, dry food isint any good for them..
but at the same time, i want to make sure hes getting all his nutients
and id like to have the option of feeding him dry food if i have to go away for a day or 2.

hes 10 weeks old
and i feed him 1.5oz of wet mixed with some dry twice a day...

as soon as the food comes out he GOBBLES it up like a maniac....

if he looks hungry during the day i bring him to his dry food, and he just sniffs it and marks it with his paw and wanders off.
i even tried making it moist with some warm water incase it was too crunchy for him...

im using the same brand the breeder used, same flavor...
perhaps i should switch brands?

im at a loss here folks....
is it ok for kittens to eat JUST wet food?

[hyp]

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It's fine to feed only canned food. It's much better for them. Dry food contains nothing that they need that canned food doesn't have, contains tons of carbohydrates that they *don't* need, and really offers no advantage except convenience.

Kittens need to be fed as much as they will eat in a sitting, no limits; at this age, ideally he should be fed about 3 times a day. A kitten will often eat as much as an adult cat, and an adult should get about 8 oz of canned food a day. 3 oz a day doesn't sound like nearly enough.

BTW, never get dry food wet! Don't put water or milk with it, and don't mix it with wet food. The surface bacterial contamination present on all dry foods is very happy to grow in a moist environment, and can give kitty a serious tummy ache.

For more on feeding cats, please see:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... cannedfood

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, 8 oz canned a day?

im trying to put one of my cats on a diet...
so ive removed the free-feeding dry bowl....

i split a 5oz can between the 2 of them in the morning
and again in the evening
at lunch (if im home) i feed them both a SMALL handfull of dry
and at night before i go to bed i give them another SMALL handful of dry

thing is, the smaller cat eats most of the wet food.
the fatboy only eats a small amount of the wet, then he marks it with his paw and wanders off.
then the little kitty scarfs up his food..
i guess i should increase their wet food meals? im not always around at lunch time to feed them, and i dont think increasing portions will help because they always eat their fill off of 1/2 a can of wet..

ive noticed the fat one has started eating more wet food (probably since he is HUNGRY)
i hope this slims him down some, i dont want to have to put him one of those high fiber precription diets.

(btw the kitten is not part of this feeding regement)

[hyp]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts