Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We have recently brought a 8 week old kitten into our household. We have a 3 year old dog (Max) and this is our first cat ever... it's been one heck of a learning curve since I've owned dogs my whole life, and the only cats I've ever had were outside cats.

Our kitten (Figment) absolutely LOVES to eat Max's food, he will sit there and gorge himself on it, if we let him (which we don't). We're used to free feeding Max, so I don't really want to change to a scheduled feeding at this time in his life - is dog food all that bad for kittens? (Figment also eats his own Science Diet kitten food, he really eats alot!)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Cats really shouldn't eat dog food on a regular basis because it lacks the proper nutrition.

I'm pretty sure the protein levels in cat food are much higher than in dog food. Cats have evolved in a way that it's easiest to digest fat and protein. (Think CATkins diet. :wink: )

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
So long as it isnt the only food he gets.
Dogs are herbivores and cats a carnivores.
Dog food does not contain enough nutriants in them which can only be found in cat food- mainly the meat only diet.
just make sure hes getting plently of cat food and not filled up on dog food.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Dog food not good for cats

Please don't let your kitten eat the dog food. It lacks the nutrients your kitten needs for proper development. Feeding a cat dog food can result in very serious healthy problems, i.e., blindness, heart problems. One of the main ingredients in cat food that a cat needs to prevent these problems, is taurine. Once in a while you'll come across a dog food that has taurine, but not many of them. To be safe, make sure your kitten is getting premium kitten food.

·
Registered
628 Posts
No offense, but have you ever read the Science Diet ingredients?

The first ingredient is Poultry By-Products in most of them 8O

It also has BHA & BHT.

For the price it is, it REALLY REALLY isn't worth it.

Take Care,
Abhay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts