Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what age do kittens need to start wearing a collar? My kittens will be indoor cats but there's always that "just in case . . ." situation!

I know absolutely NOTHING about cat collars so help would be appreciated :)
I know they should be "break-away" (whatever that is) and should have a name tag + phone # on it but that's all I know. Do the collars "grow" with the kittens - (are they adjustable?) I'm sure there are a ton of different brands so if you could point me to some of the "top" brands that would be great!

TIA,
Bon.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Breakaway means it is a snap buckle that will release when enough pressure is put on it. There are kitten specific breakaway collars so that a small cat can also safely escape. The breakaway collars say on them what weight class they are. Usually 6+ pounds for adult collars.

I would just walk in a pet store, like Petsmart, they have a good selection, and buy one you like. Or checkout eBay. I got Jasper's on eBay.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Collar sizing depends on your kitten's neck. I think standard sizes for cats are about 8-11 inches? (Correct me if I'm wrong, please!) Most young kittens may be too small to fit a standard collar, but I've heard people get ferret collars for those extra-small kitties.

Maybe the collars can wait til you get your kitties first? Then you could measure and find the perfect ones to match your kitties eyes/coloring/personality?

I'm thinking of getting collars for my kitties too, because they are more curious about what's beyond the entrance door, despite them both being microchipped already. They are about 8 months old now, but ready to fit the standard 8 inch collars. There are always so many to choose from, so can I understand your feelings!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both! I AM planning on waiting for the kittens to get their collars, it's just that I know zilch about them! Like - how do you tell if a collar FITS (not too tight, not too loose)?
Plus, I didn't know if brands matter, so thanks for answering that one! :)

Bon.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
collar fit should be aprox two fingers space between neck and collar,
Kittens have growth spurts and seem to grow over night so you need to keep and eye on the tightness of the collar while they are growing. :)

I've never found brand names to be better than non brand collars. I usually get mine off eBay, but you can get them anywhere you find ones that you like :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts