Cat Forum banner

Kittens + dry food = bad?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  MzKittieCat 
#1 ·
The kittens (5 1/2 weeks now :)) have taken to mimicking mom, which is great when it comes the litterbox and cleaning themselves, but they've also started munching her dry food. She is free fed dry, and we try to get in two canned servings a day, but my schedule has been crazy lately, so I won't be able to get into a routine until Monday :oops: :oops:

So the kittens are mildly interested in the wet food, they'll eat it about half the time (she's still nursing consistantly), but when there is no wet they - specifically the boys - will chow down on mum's dry food (Chicken Soup Kitten). My mom's not sure if this is good for them. They have really large and well developed teeth, but I don't know how well they're chewing it, and how well it'll "pass through", so to speak. None of the kittens has yet made a bowel movement in the litterbox, only pee, mom has been taking care of the rest. Will eating dry affect them, or give them constipation?

I am really trying to be more consistant with the wet food (I'm even hoping to switch to raw *fingers crossed*), but should I put the dry where they can't get it, or is it ok? I like to keep it out because Scully is still underweight and is now nursing very large kittens, so she needs it. But if they need to learn to eat the wet, I can just take it away, and get them used to meals. Any advice is great!

See less See more
#3 ·
Right. Now that I have canned and raw, I figure once I get them and Scully on a routine, I can discontinue the dry altogether. I really don't want to get them hooked on it so young. When I gave them dinner tonight, Anderson actually bypassed the raw to eat some dry :?

#5 ·
Mix the wet and dry

If they like the crunch, then mix the wet with the dry. Just don't let it sit out. After they eat, pick it up and throw any leftovers away. This is the only way the majority of my cats will eat wet because they like that crunch. It's all premium foods. The mix gives them the best of both worlds. Have you tried the raw food with them yet. I've had great success getting kittens to eat the raw food more so than some of my adults. My litltle guy who is hooked on only Royal Canin Baby Kat forumla, loves his raw food. He still eats the Royal Canin in between.

#6 ·
As lotocats said, be sure not to leave the food out if you are mixing wet and dry. The bacteria on the surface of the dry food will start multiplying like crazy in a matter of minutes. Anything left over after 20 minutes has to get tossed.

I agree, kittens take to raw food like ducks to water. They're so much more "open-minded" as youngsters! (Were we like that??)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

#7 ·
I've discontinued the dry altogether, though I still have a large bag of it to donate to the rescue (better than letting it go to waste); Scully got into it yesterday, the little bum, I had to literally drag her away.

But the kittens (and Mom) have taken fabulously to the wet/raw combo. They look like little lions as they circle the food, and you can hear them tearing and growling. Freaks... :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.