Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know I'm new here but can someone please maybe give me some advise or help me feel better cause
I'm kinding feeling this may be partly my fault.

A stray cat had kittens in my basement and they're now 3 weeks old today. 1 died yesterday and 2 more died this morning. The other 2 seem very weak. The kittens were all flea ridden (worse then I've ever seen before and I've been around alot of cats/kittens). Also I bathed the 4 of the kittens in water after the one died (I was trying to drown the fleas but it didn't work :( ). I am wondering if the fleas or me bathing them could have anything to do with their deaths, the other 4 seemed to be fine before I bathed them, well not fine really, they were full of fleas, but they didn't seem as weak. The kittens also have never started walking and they hardly ever cry. And if the fleas did cause the kittens deaths what can be done about it? Everything I've heard of for flea control says not to use on young kittens, but the problem is so bad that I can't even pick up a kitten without fleas jumping from them to me, not to mention when I bathed them it had what looked like dried blood on them and the fleas are even going into their ears and stuff.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
If they have to many fela bites they will become anemic (SP??), and die from that.

You somehow have to get rid of the fleas with a flea treatment!

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I agree that the fleas need to be gotten rid of as soon as possible. In kittens this young and small you must be very careful with the type of flea treatments you use, as some can be very dangerous. A visit or at least a phone call to a vet for an appropriate treatment would be the best thing for these kittens.
Good luck!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Amen!! Once it happened to kittens I had, no matter what they kept dying.
A cousin who's a vet told us it would have been fleas.
Do keep us posted..

·
Registered
656 Posts
When Minne and Jerry came to us at three weeks they were covered in fleas. I called the vet and he gave me some spray stuff. I had to spray it all over a towel and then hold the kittens inside the towel for a while, only leaving their face stick out. It worked pretty good, however I had to do it a couple of times befor they were old enough for frontline.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts