Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kittens love raw! However, when I give them large chunks of food, they play with it. I'm tired of chasing after them to get the food out of the curtains, off the bookshelf, or out from under the furniture. We separate them when they eat, so they're not trying to keep the food from each other... they're just having too much fun! A crate won't work, we don't have the room to put one in our house.

This morning I got to think about the possibility of grinding their food, as that should stop their fun and games. We don't have a grinder, so I figured I'd try just chopping up the food with a knife into pea-sized pieces. After chopping almost 2 pounds of chicken, I decided maybe I need to look into a grinder! (We're not feeding entirely raw at this point, but as much as they like it, I'd like to switch over to that sometime next week. We're going out of town for a couple nights, so we'll use kibble for the nights we're gone, and when we get home the kibble (hopefully!) goes out the door.) We really don't have the finances for an expensive grinder, so I was thinking of maybe getting a manual. I saw one at a home and garden show last weekend for $40, and that seems pretty reasonable. But I've also wondered if I could just use a good pair of kitchen shears? I'm not so sure I'd stick with grinding, considering all the cleaning required with the grinder. When I chopped the chicken for the kittens today they did very well with it. It all got eaten, and I didn't have to go fishing for chicken in the curtains! :razz:

I also have a question about frankenpray vs. grinding... if you're using the same exact meat/bone/organ ratio, why do you need to add the supplements to the ground food? What difference does it make if my cat chews it up, or if I chop it up smaller for him?

Thanks!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Oh my god that's... I'm sorry that's so funny to picture, but I'm sure it must make such a huge mess! :? I'm lucky my girls are both really good about eating in their bowls. Hopefully playing with their food is something they grow out of.

I have to chop up my older cat's food, because she just hasn't built up the confidence to chew big chunks yet. I use kitchen sheers a whole lot - I actually have several pairs and they're extremely useful, especially for cutting up carcasses (whole chickens, turkeys, rabbits, etc.). I also use them everyday just before feeding my older cat. She gets her meat cut up into pieces about the size of my thumb nail.

I've read that grinding the meat might or might not destroy some of the more sensitive nutrients in it (like taurine?) and so some people add them back in to be safe. I just feed franken prey because I feel it's easier for me, and I want my cats to chew - the problem with ground food is it doesn't offer the same dental benefit that crunching bones and using their teeth to slice through meat does. If you decide you want to do ground food hopefully someone on here who grinds their cat's food can offer you more information :p

On the other hand, if you want to keep doing franken prey... maybe you could try shutting your kittens in the bathroom, if they insist on playing with their food? Man, I'd be feeding my guys in the bath tub if they were throwing their food into the curtains. Hopefully your kittens will grow out of playing with their food once they get older!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use a cutting board for one of my kittens. I don't even put the meat in a dish anymore becuase he would just take it out. Now he has a bigger surface and he keeps it all on the cutting board. His brother on the other hand always takes it and runs. We tried moving them across the room from the other and putting one up on a chair but still he always ran. So now I lock him in the bathroom. I put a small dish in the tub but of course he takes the food out and goes to the other side of the tub. When he's finished I grab the shower head and spray the tub out.
I also don't let him out of the bathroom until the other kitten is finished because he goes straight to his food and then I spend 10 minutes trying to get it back!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
OMG.. just couldn't help laughing. I can just imagine flying food.... it's soo funny..

Gypsy will pounce, stun, and then run a few feet with any raw I give her, but at least it doesn't end up in the curtains. lol But I tend to toss it to her a piece at a time as she finishes each one, so she doesn't go to far. All my older cats eat it just fine right off the plate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I may have figured out why Cocoa keeps throwing his food around. He only does it with the larger chunks... anything the size of a pea he eats with no problem. Once he comes to a chunk that is a little bigger, he flips it through the air into the curtains, onto the bookshelf, whatever happens to be close. I think he's trying to tear it or break it into a smaller piece. And I have considered feeding him in the bathtub! :) But I think for now I'll continue to cut up his food, and just be sure it's small enough that he won't throw it. Yesterday he flipped a chunk of chicken and it stuck to the wall. That cat! At least I was right there so I could quickly clean it off. I'm just glad I saw it, or I would have noticed a smell later in the day. :)

Thanks for all your suggestions and stories! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts