Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm preparing for my first kitten (probably over preparing) I was searching through petsathome and came across kitten toothpaste from Hatchwells DentiFresh. Is this essential to brush your cats teeth for them or something I don't need to do?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Since you're getting a kitten, I would def. look into brushing her teeth. You'll save money in the long run.

Io was too old when we got her so she wigs right out and bites if we try to do anything with her mouth. I'm too lazy to acclimatize her so I've resigned myself to some dental bills.

·
Registered
978 Posts
You don't HAVE to do it but I think it's a great idea to. You really have to start when they're a kitten. Most cats don't like you putting things in their mouth, lol. I would use an enzymatic toothpaste such as CET. You don't actually have to brush them but just rub it on their teeth with your finger.

It will help prevent dental issues in the future. You can have your cat's teeth cleaned by your veterinarian but it's expensive and risky. They have to be put under anesthesia which is too risky for me to even consider for teeth cleaning. Anesthesia gets riskier with age as well. We recently adopted a chihuahua and had a couple teeth extracted and her teeth cleaned while she was being spayed. I would not have allowed it if she weren't already under anesthesia.

Here is the toothpaste that I would recommend: Virbac Animal Health C.E.T. Enzymatic Toothpaste | Pet Toothpaste

1 - 3 of 3 Posts