Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has 2 5 month old Russian Blue kittens recently in his flat. I've travelled down to see them a few times already and they are lovely and great fun to be around.
Now my parents want to see them too but my dad has health conditions so doesn't really want to make the trip down for a weekend away. Is it possible that my brother bringing up the kittens to stay with them for a weekend could work?

The other issue is my parents have 2 older cats of their own, who are also outdoor cats. However in the past we have helped kittens mix with a cat when we introduced our cats (then kittens) to the older cat they had then, so we know how to do it (10mins keeping kittens in a cat basket while the cats can smell them and not feel threatened etc). We'd also make sure never to allow the kittens outside, give them a litter tray and keep them in seperate parts of the house to the cats all the time apart from when introducing.

If the kittens and cats familiarity wouldn't be remembered though for future visits, then we would just make sure they are kept separate at all times.

Could this work? The house is big enough to keep the cats/kittens apart (cats are nearly 9 and sleep during the day in the same room a lot at this time of the year anyway). My parents would love to see the kittens and they would love roaming around most of the house I'm sure (we have a room we could keep them seperate at night too), and it would give the kittens far more attention than being left in the flat with just a daily visitor/friend to look after them when my brother came up to visit. The trip up does take about 3 hours by train though, and so I want to check that they would be ok kept in a cat carrier for that long.

Would like some advice before I suggest the idea to him, in case it's really not going to be fair on the kittens or older cats. Kittens also are due to be spayed/neutered in a months time, so I think I'd only consider it once they've been done and are fully recovered. Thanks. ?

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't put them (or anyone else) through the (possible) stress. They are at a very playful age, but what if they don't acclimate right away and spend the entire weekend in hiding? Your parents' other cats may seem mellow now, but introducing strange cats might change that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally, I wouldn't put them (or anyone else) through the (possible) stress. They are at a very playful age, but what if they don't acclimate right away and spend the entire weekend in hiding? Your parents' other cats may seem mellow now, but introducing strange cats might change that.
Couldn't the kittens love the experience of visiting a new house also though? I've searched the net and found many stories of owners who do this and their cats really enjoy it if it's the same place and remember it for next time- and my dad is keen to see them so they would get a lot of attention. Obviously if they don't like it then you don't do it again, but otherwise you'll never know, and I've read it's best to try it with kittens if you do, as they react better to new surroundings.

I feel like the biggest challenge may be the journey bringing them up, as he doesn't drive so it would be a near 3 hour journey mainly by train. And dealing with their "talking" and potential toilet needs on route (I've read puppy pads best for travelling?)

Do cats remember each other if meetings are spaced a few months apart? Trying to figure out if we did it, then would it be worth slowly introducing them to each other or is it best just to keep them apart throughout (if they'd be like total strangers again next time?). As it would only be visiting for 3-4 days each time.

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
I think you're assuming that cats think like us and have feelings and reactions like we do. To a couple of kids, a weekend away would definitely be fun and exciting, but I think to some cats, it will be a strange place with strange people, smells, sounds, etc. AND two resident cats, even if they are mostly outside. It sounds like you think it will be fine and you kind of want someone to agree with you. I'm just answering as to how MY girls would have reacted at that age.

Then again, as you say, you never know, it could be great and, if it doesn't go well, you won't do it again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts