Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found two newborn kittens in my yard. They were freezing since it it snowing outside and I brought them in to warm them up. I do not know which of our cats is the mother and no cats have been up here looking for them. I do not think the mother knows how to care for them and does not want to since she has not been looking for them. They are hungry and I think they might have been out there a while and I do not know what to do. I do not want them to die but I have no idea what to do.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Call a VET. You need to go to the store and get kitten milk(not cow milk or anything else) and a squinge(sp?) and hand feed them. Sicne they are newborn, they need helped to go to the bathroom. You do this by taking a damp cloth and rubbing their genitals with it. Do NOT feed a kitten on its back, let it lay on its stomach.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
They need to be fed every 2 hours aswell, yep this includes during the night...
best thing to do is call a vet/rspca or equivlent as they may be able to find a substitute cat mum....

you really should get your cats spayed, there are enough homeless cats in this world without more being born.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Except from feeding them with milk substitue every second hour and rubbing their bottoms after every meal you have to keep them warm. And since they don't get any milk from their mother they will be even more sensitive for bacterials and viruses than other kittens. The mothers milk usually gives kittens some protection against bacterials and viruses because of the antibodies in the milk. Your kittens don't get that protection so you need to be careful with the hygien. Always clean your hands before handling the kittens (clean clothes is a plus) and don't let any of the other cats meet the kittens before the kittens have been vaccinated.

Well, this is the best I can do. A vet can probably tell you more about caring for the little ones. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I hope you can find a substitute mother for them! They need that softness and loving. If not, you could get them a snuggle kitty--or make one. I'll get you a link.

http://www.epets.com/snugglekitty.html

One of our members used a clock for the heartbeat, a kitten heating pad, and even made pockets for bottles of milk, and put them in a soft stuffed animal she had in the house. You could sew the bottle holders on the inside with elastic, so that only the nipples poke out.

Good luck. Please let us know how they do!

My cat played mother to another kitten after her kittens went to new homes, and my collies all nursed kittens. One mother collie had a false pregnancy, so she had some milk, and I supplemented with formula. I had to hold mother kitty at first, but if you make sure cat and kitten smell alike (a drop of vanilla on the back of the neck), they should be fine. Just baby sit until the mother accepts the kitten completely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts