Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boo does this thing where everytime we open a cupboard if there is room for her, she must hop in there, and just sit for a few minutes (door open). same with closets actually. shes been stuck in a closet actually for a couple hours once... but yet she stilll darts for these places.

Why do cats like small spaces?

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Curiosity? Both my Devons are bad for that....no cupboard, drawer, or closet can be left open for long as they will always want to check it out.

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
Gigi even jumps in my fridge when I open it. Of course, with this heat wave, the only reason that's annoying is because there's less room for me.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bertie does this too... he likes to put himself away in the cupboard on the same shelf as his catfood. He doesn't try to get into it, just sits at the back next to it.
He jumped into the fridge too the other day. I let him stay there (door open) while I poured the milk in my tea, and he still wasn't keen to come out.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I had to put a kid lock on my fridge, because Jack would pry it open and steal any lunch meat he happened to find.. and if there was none anything set for dinner was fair game..he has also taught Gypsy how to pry open cabnets to sleep in.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine have all discovered the joys of the cabinets! They have learned to open them with their paws, and really love just exploring them. The biggest shock came as I walked down the hall one day, and Rosalie emerged from the closet above the washer and dryer!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The best is when the cupboard door moves all on its own. because theres a kitty inside who snuck in too quickly to be noticed. lol.

Luckily we hear the "knock" lol

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
My cats love the closets. Princess spends all the time I'm at work sleeping in my clothes closet in my bedroom. I don't understand how it doesn't bother her, in this heat, but she feels safest in there. Before I leave for work every day she asks me to open it for her to go spend the day in. I've arranged a few niches in closets in the house that are comfortable for kitties.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My new addition Shadow loves the cabinets and closets. She too can open the cabinet doors. While I was away, I let my mom know she could open the cabinets so that she would not be startled thinking someone had been in the house. I teased my husband, since we are trying for a baby, if we have a child, Shadow will be upset when we have to put child locks on the cabinets.

She did get caught in a closet for about 5 hours. We felt horrible. We looked for her all over the yard, field, and house. I go to get in bed and hear clawing. Open the door and she just laid there looking at me giving me a look "About TIME", but was so happy to see me. She has no meow really, so we could not hear her meowing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I do think cats like small spaces because it makes them feel secure. Shadows infatuation with cabinets I believe is pure curiosity.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wish I knew the answer. ;) I finally had to child-proof all of my cupboard doors because Winston was spending all of his free time sneaking into cupboards with cleaners and chemicals in them.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Oh lord, closets! Ariel has figured out that we need to turn doorknobs to open doors, and I have now caught him multiple times leaning over on the night stand/dresser/whatever surface is the right height to get his paws on the doorknob and start trying to turn it!

All I can say is that God knew what he was doing when he didn't give cats opposable thumbs. :?

But I think cats are just driven to inspect EVERYTHING, to know their environment. Which is smart until it gets them in trouble.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Strangest thing for me is that neither of my two are obsessively interested in cabinets/closets. I always have my bedroom closet open and neither of them show any interest in it. I can leave the pantry door open and neither of them will pay the slightest attention.

The only one that I have to be careful of is the main floor coat closet. Miu will walk in and sit sometimes, but then if I open the door, she just comes out non-chalantly. She doesn't push to stay in there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts