Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two sister kitties that are about 10 months old now, I had them since they were 7 weeks. I think they might be in heat, eiether that or there is something wrong with my house and they are trying to tell me about it. They are constantly meowing and sniffing the floor and just about everything else like they have never been here before. They are rubbing themselves against the dog and me and the other cats. I'm pretty sure this is because they are in heat, if I'm mistaken then I might have a serious problem on my hands here. I did a lil research and read that they consistently meow to call out to the male kitties in the neighborhood to let them know they are in heat. All I know is that they will not shut up and I don't know how to tell them that their male mate isn't coming and even if there was a male kitty out there, he's not coming in here. I have a male kitty who we refer to as Uncle Wicket because he took good care of them when they were kittens, they keep throwing themselves at him and he shows no interest because he is neutered, plus I don't approve, he is their uncle and he's twice their age. The dog just thinks they are absolutely crazy. This is my first experience with female cats that aren't spayed so that is why I'm somewhat confused as to what is going on. It's been about four days now and they show no sign of calming down. Basically what I need to know is how long will this go on for and how often does this occur? I plan to have them spayed in July but I read that you should have them spayed before they go into heat or right away after their first heat. Does anyone know why this is other than to keep from going insane? Any advice or similiar experiences would help.

:kittyball

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The only thing that would help is to get them spayed ASAP. Breeders have some "tricks" to calm them down, but, for a novice, its kinda gross. I would recommend moving up the appointment because they can go into heat every 2-3 weeks or so and heat sometimes lasts a week or more. You don't want to put your kitties or yourself through that frustration longer than necessary.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Ohhh I feel your pain - Satin went in heat before I got her spayed and she was miserable - I agree - move up the appointment or everyone will suffer.

When Satin went into heat she also started spaying around the house - it was sooo gross. I had to confine her to a room by herself when we weren't home because she peed EVERYWHERE including our bed and WOULD NOT leave my poor male cat alone even if he was neutered. She was a mess and so miserable I felt so bad for her.

I called the vet right away and they got her in within days for the surgery.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Been there, heard that. It's **** till they get spayed

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for your advice and support. I called the vet and they were actually able to get them in tomorrow morning. AMAZING. I didn't think it would go on this long. Poor things, it's all over for them tomorrow. I hope they don't mind. I don't think they have sprayed the house as of yet, not that I know of anyway. I hope they didn't. They sure act like they want to with all the sniffing. It's all for the best I suppose.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Did you tell they vet they're currently in heat? The vet needs to know that

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
When I had my cats done, I was told to schedule the visit 2 weeks from the start of the heat cycle. Spaying in heat can raise the risk of excessive bleeding.
I would ask your Vet. Most will say 2 weeks after their heat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got off the phone with them. They said that it doesn't really matter because they go in and out of heat every week. She said with dogs it's a bigger isssue but with cats it is not but thank you guys for the concern. The kitties are taking their day nap right now so it's nice and peaceful around here for a little while anyway.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Eeek, I went through that with Evie, terrible time for all involved.

I hope the spaying goes well. We had Evie done three weeks ago, she's been fine- not even chewed the stitches once.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm glad you were able to move up the appointment. A friend and me are fostering four rescued (feral/stray/dumped) cats. Princess Leia cycled in and out of heat every four or five DAYS it seemed; the other male cats were not amused or interested. And more significantly, PL lost an alarming amount of weight; she was on the thin side to begin with.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't know they would go into heat so soon. I thought I still had months but I was very wrong. I never went through this with Wicket, I got him from the shelter when he was a kitten and they gave me a certificate to get him neutered but it had a deadline of 6 months so he never had to go through that. Brackenpaw was already spayed when I got her. They say it changed their personality, I'm hoping it will calm them down and they'll grow up and get out of their kitten stage. They are very destructive right now. Wicket was like that when he was that age but now he is mellow and just likes to lounge around all day.

:kittyball

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Yikes! One time I was with this one cat and she was always in heat. Her name was globen. It's been a long time since I've seen her and I hope she's spayed now. My grandparents cats are always in heat and neither one of them is fixed. Maybe one day and it just me and my siblings, I will make sure every single last one of them is fixed. They are outdoor kitties too.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I also take care of a feral/stray/dumped cat colony. After trying for four months, I finally trapped and spayed Quill. She has calmed down somewhat after spaying her. Initially she was super scared (if I looked at her, she'd run away), then wary; now she will actually stand still for a few seconds when I am next to her putting down the food. So spay/neutering may change the personality of the cat--almost always for the better.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Most vets will spay/neuter cats at 4 mos. old....and some females will come into heat at 5 mos.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts