Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We left the kitties at home this past weekend while we were away and had a catsitter come take care of them. We have been feeding all wet for several weeks now. Unfortunately, we didn't see how we could do that while we were gone, since the sitter was only coming once a day. So we told her to give wet when she first got there, then dole out some dry right before she left.
Well the second day she came, they had pooped on the floor and she cleaned it up. The next day, we came home and there were 3 small piles of poop on the floor and one big pile of poop in the back of their litterbox. What made them (or maybe it was only Justin) do this? Was it a dietary thing, since they had not been getting dry lately (Justin tended to have soft bulky stools when he was on dry food)? Or was it a behavioral thing, since they could have done it in their box? Or some combination of the two?
How can I prevent this in the future when we have a sitter come? Having her come more than once a day is not financially very feasible. I don't want to change their routine too much with the wet food, but I also don't want to leave it out for too long and I know they don't eat that much at a time. How long can wet food stay out before it goes bad?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't know what to say about them going outside of the litter box, assuming it was clean. As far as leaving wet food out...I've been told 30 minutes and NO longer than an hour. Bacteria start growing and I'm sure other yucky stuff. Someone else should be able to give you the specific reasons.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was poop on the kitchen floor again this morning. Should I disinfect the kitchen floor to get any residual smell off? (I don't smell anything but maybe they can?)
Queenofthenile, I'll come back this afternoon and answer your question when I am more awake.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
shlanon said:
The next day, we came home and there were 3 small piles of poop on the floor and one big pile of poop in the back of their litterbox. What made them (or maybe it was only Justin) do this? Was it a dietary thing, since they had not been getting dry lately (Justin tended to have soft bulky stools when he was on dry food)? Or was it a behavioral thing, since they could have done it in their box? Or some combination of the two?
I'm gonna ask some pretty gross questions. Please bear with me.

Were the small poops very hard? Was the large poop hard at the bottom and softer near the top?

I ask because Sabby does something similar to this when he gets constipated. Apparently he doesn't get enough fiber in his wet food and I have to add a pinch of psyllium powder and give him a little laxatone every day.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, Queenofthenile....I all but had to stop giving any dry food to make him eat the wet. He got wet mixed with dry at least once a day though (taken up very quickly to prevent bacteria) and sometimes wet with chicken baby food. He likes Innova best because it is very juicy...I also feed some Wellness and occasionally other things. I mash the wet food up with a spoon every day so it's not one big lump and so the juicyness is more evenly distributed. He finally started eating more and more of it. If given dry though, he goes totally hog wild.

Anissa, I give them psyllium powder once a day because their poops are harder when they are on wet food. This poop was all soft, I presume because they were eating dry food. The poop this morning was a little harder than the poop Sunday night (I think because I put them back onto wet only). I didn't check to see if one end was harder than the other though. But I don't think it is constipation. :?
Btw, nothing any of you say will gross me out...I work in a lab and right now I'm working with people's pee. :)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There have been two more instances of poop on the floor. :? It seems to happen when the other cat (I have no idea who's doing what) poops in the litterbox, doesn't cover it. Then the pooper cat comes along, doesn't want to go into stinky litterbox and poops on the floor. I keep the box clean, but when they both have to go at night, while I'm sleeping, I can't do much about that.
We really don't have anyplace to put a second litterbox either.
I'm just wondering why in the world they (or one of them, I don't know who) are doing this because it was never a problem before.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Is it possible that it may be behavioral? Maybe they got upset because you weren't around and started this behavior to let you know about it?

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Some cats just hate the stink. Is it a covered litterbox? If it is, remove the cover. I know there isn't a really good place for a second litterbox, but it may be necessary.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, this morning when I left for work, I made sure the box was clean. Then, maybe 30 minutes later, my husband came out from his shower and didn't have his contacts in...he stepped right in it since whoever it was had strategically pooped on the brown part of the kitchen tile. 8O :lol: Poor guy.
I think we may try moving the box to where they are pooping, but it's only about 2 feet away. It is a covered box....but ugh...I can only imagine the litter going all over the kitchen if we uncovered it. I don't know if it is the smell though since the box was newly scooped when they did it this time.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, my husband thinks he has solved the mystery. (Cue theme to Blue's Clues. Look! A clue! A clue! Kitty poop on the floor! :D )
Anyway, he saw Stormy go up to use the litterbox and when she scratched, Justin started to run over to her like he was going to pounce. So then she came back out and didn't go. Then, she started scratched on the kitchen's tile floors. David told her no and put her into the litterbox. This happned maybe one more time and then she went into the box herself. Justin again acted like he was going to go over and mess with her but David held him while Stormy had her bathroom time in peace.
So...we think Justin is trying to pounce on her while she goes to poop, which freaks her out, so she just does it on the floor. So I told hubby to try and tell Justin no each time he is trying to go up and mess with Stormy while she is in the box, maybe that way he will learn that he needs to let her go in peace! Any other suggestions?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts