Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While sitting around today, my husband picked up our oldest cat, Hermina, and noticed her eyes were dilated. He took the flash light to them and they didn't constrict. I did some research and it seems like she is blind. Thinking about it, it must have started weeks ago and I didn't realize this was the case, I thought it was because she was so old (15) and rickety.

Now I feel bad becuase after all the research I did, I'm afraid I could have done more to try to save her sight if I'd only realized. My heart is broken. I feel so bad for her.

The cause, I'm not sure of. She has hyperthyroid, but it's being managed by medication. I called the vet's office and she said the vet is going to want to see her. My husband and I are discussing it, since I am unemployed and money is tight. (Last two times we took her to the vet, we decided to fix her instead of our broken car. I thought it was a good trade.)

My thought is it might be high blood pressure but the vets in my area don't have the means to check for that.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Do you have any advice?

Thanks for letting me vent. :)

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
I don't have any advice, but I'm sorry you're all going through this. :patback

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
High blood pressure is what occurred to me as I read your post, too. None of the vets in my area have the equipment necessary to check feline blood pressure, either. It's very frustrating!

That said, your vet can make a best guess about her blood pressure based on a physical exam, and it is important that she be put on blood pressure med if the vet feels it is a likely issue. Untreated HBP can be deadly, as I'm sure you know. Even if it's too late to restore her sight, HBP is still a condition that needs to be managed.

I wish you and Hermina the best.

Laurie

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I don't have any advice, having never dealt with the issue, but I'm so sorry to hear about Hermina.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Any "filmeyness"?

At that age it could be cataracts.

Are you sure she's blind? When Fay is cranked up or freightened (because her step-sister has the zoomies) her eyes are massive despite the lighting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any "filmeyness"?

At that age it could be cataracts.

Are you sure she's blind? When Fay is cranked up or freightened (because her step-sister has the zoomies) her eyes are massive despite the lighting.
There could be cloudiness. It's hard to say at this point. I've kept watch on her all day and she is still dilated. She's running into things, big things like the couch (glad is padded) it's breaking my heart. I'm not sure we can afford to take her to the vet, I'm also not sure what they can do for her, probably nothing for her sight. Also, going to the vet is really hard on her, and at this point in her life, I'm inclined to just let her be and not stress her out anymore than she already is. It's such a lousy predicament.

I regret not noticing the signs earlier and am trying to assuage that by giving her whatever she wants. Today we shared, pizza, yogurt and I gave her a can of wet food (usually reserved for treats):catmilk. My poor, old girl.

Thank you all for your help and advice. I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart!

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Wet food is really good for cats. You should give your little Hermina all she wants, especially now.

ETA: I thought you had switched her over to all wet a couple months ago....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry to say my old girl Hermina passed away this morning. We are so sad and heart broken having been privliged to spend 15 years with her. We knew it was her time and since she wasn't in any pain, we decided instead of taking her to a cold sterile vet, to keep her home with all the familiar smells and sounds. She died in my husbands arms and we buried her under the tree she used to like to sit under. I miss my big girl already. :crying

Thanks to all of you for your help and support. It means the world to me. I attached a picture of her below. Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Your beautiful girl had a long, wonderful life with you. I'm so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All your kind words are so appreciated! It seems so strange not to have her wandering about. I miss her. I like to think she is somewhere young, strong and ornery! Collecting leaves and sticks at her leisure. (She used to bring us leaves and sticks rather than living things. We used to joke she was a vegetarian!)

Will we get another cat? Well, we already have three...and my husband is so sad he says no. Then again, he is the one who rescued our youngest two from a movie theater parking lot against my better judgment (and he says I'M a soft touch. Sheesh!) ~eye roll~

We sacrificed fixing our car to take car of Hermina and I think it was more than a fair trade. As it stands now, one of the younger cats, Eight, is at the vet right now. It looks like she got into a fight and has a puncture in her right front leg. So they are installing a drain into the abscess and I am to go get her shortly. I guess we'll put off fixing the car a little longer...Again I say, good trade.

This is a wonderful community and feel lucky to have found you all. Thank you again for all your help and support. I hope I can impart some wisdom for others here as well!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Presto, you are so very sweet!! Thank you so much! I hope your generosity is richly rewarded in abundance! On one hand I would have liked to have unlimited funds to spend on her but even if I did, I'm not sure I would have. The writing has been on the wall and I think we were fighting a losing battle. She LOVED to go bye-byes in the car but HATED the vet. I wanted her last time here to be happy and safe. It's why we didn't take her to an emergency vet in the middle of the night. I admit to being selfish and wanting her home with me where I could hold and tell her I loved her. I didn't want her to be scared and upset her last moments. Thank you, Presto. Your big heart fills mine with love. Thank you.

marie73, Susan and dweamgoil, thank you for your sympathies. It's people like you and others here on this site that make it a favorite of mine! I hope all of your beloved pets live long, healthy and happy lives!

Thank you again!!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
:patback
My condolences!

Don't feel bad for "not noticing". I've heard that a lot of blind kitties lead rather normal lives. They got good hearing and sense of smell, and of course the whiskers! to compensate. In fact, I heard a story once of a blind kitty attacking a burglar in the house, simply because she knew where to pounce from the smell and sound of him!

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
I like to think she is somewhere young, strong and ornery!
Cinderella has yet another diva to hang with at the Bridge. They do have to stick together, you know. They're both pain free now, gorgeous and driving the boy kitties mad.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
I just read your thread. Im so sorry for what you had to face and now the passing of your dear cat. Know that she is no longer in pain and will be waiting for you on the other side.

I got a bit nift at your vet when reading her age and health issues. We have used all the vets in two counties here. Ive found the younger vets are much more up on all the latest diagnostic equipment and knowledge. Any cat at your cats age your vet should of been looking out for what happens at that age and educating you. So sorry your vet didnt do that.
That is just plain wrong.

I know the struggle of wanting vet help but having bills to pay. In the future dont be afraid to ask a vet if they have an angel fund to help with vet expenses. Most good vet offices do have that.

do know that cats that are blind can live full and happy lives. There is even a blind cat rescue in this country. The only one- in NC. I spent a day there and the cats are amazing and happy. They have a facebook page also. I would encourage anyone who comes across a blind cat to rescue it and not let the pound put it down. They can do anything a normal cat can do. In fact in my experience they are easier to care for than my sighted fosters who see and get into trouble!!!

My heart goes out to you and your husband. I hope all the wonderful memories comfort you while you grieve the loss of this precious kitty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts