Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few years back we started with one cat, then once I really came to know that cat belonged well and truly to my son and he to her I began taking in foster babies, around this time last year a cat of my own came home with me and when my youngest at 13 saw how everyone had someone to cuddle at night but him well, one of the bottle babies from last season stayed after I took her through the adoption readiness process....she was just adopted by her foster family -LOL.

So here I am a bit over 2 years in, and 3 cats sharing a home with me and the other 3 men type people (my only rules were all pets had to be female, needed some estrogen balance in the home (sorry TMI)...meanwhile in the beginning it was all 'sure mom I'll help cut claws, sure I wanna feed and yeah of course I'll do litter boxes.

But I'm a realist, and I have teen age boys, so unless I'm ill I do cat boxes & they don't gripe about not having privacy in their personal space, and I feed and they don't complain about the smell in their personal space cause I clean boxes before the pm feeding (each has a litter box in their own room and each boy sleeps with their own cat, door closed - if they notice an odor I keep easy to use scooping supplies with small sealable bags next to the litterboxes - they can choose to sleep all night in a stinky room if they want - I'll scoop on my morning rounds. BTW boys are 13 and 16 years old & each has a birthday in the next couple months so I'm not talking little ones here.

The newest and most difficult 'i don't/wont' do - is helping with the nail clipping - it makes me nuts. I know my boys need to learn a books worth of manners and respect but to be fair life is hard on them both a bit medically right now so expectations change and I've lost the willingness to be at war with my boys over anything for more than 30 min or so - never can tell when one might develop a bit of medical trouble and wind up in the hospital so it just isn't worth the fight right now - if they get good and strong and can go off to college or live on their own then they'll be sturdy enough for a few knock down drag outs with mom.

So it all leads up to clipping claws. With 2 people it is quick easy painless for all and I've never nicked a quick yet (probably just ruined that streak by typing it out).....alone, claw clipping is another story . My cat bless her heart will lay on her back and let me have done no trouble. oldest son's cat I can get maye 2-4 a day and the little one well if she is feeling kind it's quick and relatively easy as the nails are still rather fine - but if she prefers to keep them it's blanket time :( for her and bandage time for me.

Today we may have found the supreme motivator in a particular form of kitty junk food treats "Craves"
and there is a coupon code for it this month Crave Cat Treat Coupon - Couponaholic

they react to this like my kiddos react to mickey d's so it cant be good for them....but I got all nails cut alone tonight :)

So A little guilt - corn is a main ingredient but they are grain fee, wellness core and felidae kitties - primarily wet so I figure 6-10 treats and a good claw cleeping are a decent trade!!

Anybody else have special favorites for the chores of upkeep - the stuff the kitties really don't like - prior to this the three turned up there noses at freeze tried fish, chicken and shrip, chicken jerky and a zny other higher end treat i could find - this stuff though it almost as much of a kitty crack as catnip - the run for the crinkle of the bag the same way.

Thoughts? Stories?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well, wet food used to be a treat, so we would use that as an apology lol. Tuna is a good way to soothe too lol. They love Whiskas Temptations, but Logan can't have them anymore because they make him sick. I have shaken a bag just to get them all in the same room....mean I know, but effective lol.

You are brave doing the manicures alone, I could never do it alone. Even with two people, we still have to wrap Kisa because she tries to swat and bite me. Logan whines the whole time, but so far no biting. Which is weird cuz he is a biter... The young ones don't care, they let us handle them and clip away no problem.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
My cats are fed grain-free food, but confess that sometimes I use Temptations treats....they go nuts for the Creamy Dairy Flavor.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My cats are fed grain-free food, but confess that sometimes I use Temptations treats....they go nuts for the Creamy Dairy Flavor.
Yeah I wrote late & didn't word that quite right - our kitties don't eat corn wheat or soy - until now, hence the guilt.

But it seems like if it means I can cut nails it is a decent trade - kinda like spluging on a big mac once every 2 weeks - right?

somebody tell me this isnt so bad......plz?

·
Registered
364 Posts
we buy dehydrated chicken breast. It's the dog size, so you get more and spend less. 2 of my cats LOVE it as in will do ANYTHING to get it.
but it's expensive.

the other cat is now getting Maine **** Cat diet as her treat kibbles. it's better than the stuff made of corn, but it too is expensive.

·
Registered
594 Posts
dried bonito flakes are like crack for our kitties! You can find them in Japanese market or there are some marketed for cats too. I know fish isn't so good for cats, but as a treat in small quantities doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My cats don't get treats any more. The first week I got them, they dragged a bag of treats under my desk in the second bedroom and ate most of them. I panicked when they stopped eating for two days until I found the baggie. Ever since, they won't eat those kind, I think they OD'ed. I recently bought them greenies as I want to start clicker training them and did it again, left the bag out. When I got up the next morning, there were greenies everywhere. they won't eat those anymore either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.