Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my kitty has always attacked me in bed whenever she gets a chance. if there are feet dangling near the foot of the bed or an arm or a leg near the side of the bed, she'll attack. my feet she usually just claws (with knives out), but arms and legs on the side of the bed she will actually bite. i've adapted by sleeping diagonally in my bed so that she has no limb access. if bitten, because i am so startled (and half asleep) i withdraw my limb and yell at her. she always runs away as if she knows she's in trouble. i don't follow her or follow-up on it so as not to give her any more attention.

what can i possibly do to get her to stop this behaviour? i am now in a serious relationship with a nice tall man, which means that it's hard to keep limbs from the edge of the bed. he's being very sweet about it, but i feel awful when he gets awakened constantly by my cat clawing his feet. by the way, she doesn't care if it's my feet or his, she's just happy to see feet.

thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Can you just restrict her from your room? Lots and lots of play before bed should help with avoiding this behavior....she'll be too tired to bother.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've tried keeping her out of the bedroom--a week of the door closed whether my boyfriend was over or not. boy can she meow and scrape at the door! i had to sleep with earplugs; she was so relentless. the trouble with that was that i invariably have to go the bathroom at night, and she'd slip in as soon as that happened, and at 4am it's hard to get the energy to chase down a cat and then shut her out again. in 4 years she has always had free access to the bedroom, so i think it was a shock for her.

i'll try playing with her more before bed. with age, she seems less interested in toys. i've tried toys on a string, throwing little toys, laser pointers, balls--it's actually pretty hard to get her to play, especially on my schedule. any ideas?

thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts