Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My cat has two dots around her mouth. they do not seem to hurt her. she is 10 months old and is eating and going to the bathroom fine. Should i be concerned? Anyone know what this could be?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Acne?

Boots has kitty acne on her chin/lower lip. Looks just like that when she scratches at it.

Are you feeding in stainless steel bowls? Many things can cause acne. Plastic bowls are a major one. I used to use one then switched to stainless, got rid of her acne. Food allergies can cause acne, too.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Definitely looks like chin acne. Sumo used to have that. He had ceramic bowls all his life, so it must have been caused by something else.

I used to clean it with a paper towel and peroxide. I just put the peroxide on the paper towel and gently wiped his chin. That always helped clear it up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you so much! i was starting to worry. ill try the peroxide but she does eat out of plastic bowls so ill have to get her a ceramic or stainless steel. I am so relieved :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Walmart has stainless steel bowls for 97 cents in the kitty food dish isle. :) I bought 10 of them, and a wrought iron frame for them for $15 total. Another thing is ceramic dishes can have holes in the glaze that harbor bacteria. Acne can show up out of no where, even when there's no changes in dishes or diets. You can use plastic for years and one day have a kitty with acne.

My vet gave me stridex pads to clear it up. Given I never used it, just switched the dishes. But that's what she recommended aside from cleaning her chin regularly with mild soap and water.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Looks like feline acne. A flat plate may be easier for her to eat off than a bowl. I used to have a cat that had feline acne for most of her 17-1/2 yrs. Sometimes, it would completely disappear for months at a time, and then she would have a flare-up. I think some of it was related to stress and possibly the food I was feeding her. I used various creams, medications (can't remember the names now) with various degrees of success. Occasionally she would scratch it and get her chin infected, the she would have to have some medication to clear that up. Sometimes the acne would go away for months and then reappear. It's a strange thing really and fairly common. It's not contagious as none of my other cats ever got it from her and there was a lot of mutual grooming. I do know that if you rub off the gunk too vigorously that seems to aggravate it and make it worse, at least it did with my girl. I never used plastic bowls, so the cause of it is somewhat mysterious---maybe a type of autoimmune thing, I really don't know. It didn't seem to be genetic.

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
Looked like classic ringworm to me. A lot of times its active in moist warm places to begin with in the head area. If this kitten was from out of doors and the ringworm fungus was in the soil it can show up other places of the body. If it is ringworm this is an easy fix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ringworm ? She is an indoor cat so doesn't go outside. There's no other evidence of anything wrong other than the blotches on her chin. Could these be a sign of ringworm or is appetite and behavior affected first or more commonly with ringworm?
HTML:

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
Ringworm is not health threatening. Try blacklighting it in a dark room. If it turns green its ringworm. There are many different kinds of ringworm. Some wont blacklight. How long have you had your cat? Does it come in contact with other cats. Do you volunteer at a rescue? Sometimes it is in their system and come on later or when stressed. If you have other adult cats with healthy immune systems not to worry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had penny for about six months. She's about 10 months old. I don't volunteer at a rescue but I am an animal science student and am around animals but classes ended in may. No other cats now. Previously lived with another cat but moved in may. She's had these for about two weeks. They were small bumps then got bigger from what I think is scratching but then they get smaller again. There's two of them. A few months ago she had a ringworm test which was negative.

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
Ringworm spots are irregular crusty circles. They will spread. The cat looses its hair at the location of the ringworm site. My tux periodically gets acne. Cats with white chins are more susceptible. Its black and looks like flea dirt. You can usually rub some of the black acne looking stuff off a cats chin with your finger nail. Mine never looses hair from acne.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
she doesnt seem to be losing any hair where the spots are and there have only been two spots which have been there for about two weeks. no sign of other ones forming so i dont think its spreading. If they persist even after periodic peroxide wipe downs I will take her to the vet. The black looking scab stuff around her spots does come off very easily if I wipe it with a moist cloth so I'm going to hope that it is just acne. Are there any other symptoms of ringworm I should look out for just in case this is it? Thank you.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I have heard of some owners clearing up their cat's acne by using "baby wipes", every day to clean away the black gunk, then afterwards putting on Neosporin on the chin area. Also to use stainless steel water bowls and to change the water and clean the bowls well each day. Someone else said the acne disappeared when she switched her cat's food to raw. Hope something works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts