Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Velvet seems to be having a little trouble with constipation lately. She had it on rare occation for a long time. She is now 9 years old and is seeming to have more of a problem with it. Every so often, say maybe twice a month, she will run around the house making the sad miserable sounding meows. She will race up and down the stairs, go in and out of her litter box, obviously uncomfortable. Then, sometimes in the litter box and sometimes not, she will finally be able to go. We used to be confused as to what she was doing when she was demonstrating this behavior. But we now feel it is because she is uncomfortable and constipated and just waiting to be able to poop. Then wherever she happens to be, she goes. :(
I am not really concerned about the stray poop so much as I am about my poor kitty being so miserable. I have recently changed her food from Science Diet Maintenance to Royal Canin Indoor formula. I read a mention on the RC bag about preventing hairballs and it is my understanding that hairballs and constipation are related. Velvet does have the occasional hairball problem too, so I thought this might help. I made the switch about a month ago. She has had at least two constipation episodes since. Maybe I need to give it more time. She likes the Royal Canin and seems especially soft and silky so I think I will stick with it regardless. I live in a pretty small market. Royal Canin is about the best available food in my area.
She drinks plenty of water, she loves her pet fountain. So I don't think lack of fluids is the problem.
I would love any ideas, thank you in advance for any help!
:)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
if you haven't tried canned food, it may be time.

My parents old cat had to switch because of the same problems when she was 12. She lived a good life, almost made it to 20 years old.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Padunk said:
if you haven't tried canned food, it may be time.

My parents old cat had to switch because of the same problems when she was 12. She lived a good life, almost made it to 20 years old.
You may be right. I have actually been considering that, but the one time I gave Velvet canned food she proceeded to vomit all over the house. This was a few years ago, but is has made me a little hesitant to want to try in again. :roll:
Thanks again for your help! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
You could also try mixing a 1/4 tsp mineral oil in with a little wet food. A cat at the sanctuary where I work has problems with constipation on a regular basis and this is what we feed him everyday to prevent this problem. You can also give her a 1/4 tsp of Metamucil in some wet food when you see her having difficulty. Both of these remedies have helped cats at my work.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Raina_Stardust said:
You could also try mixing a 1/4 tsp mineral oil in with a little wet food. A cat at the sanctuary where I work has problems with constipation on a regular basis and this is what we feed him everyday to prevent this problem. You can also give her a 1/4 tsp of Metamucil in some wet food when you see her having difficulty. Both of these remedies have helped cats at my work.
I was just about to post the same thing. :lol: Mineral oil or fiber sprinkled on the food will help. There is also a tube of stuff you can get at your local petstore or PetSmart that has mineral oil and some other things to help releive constipation. The name escapes me at the moment.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. I want to try the tube of stuff, I have seen several available. If I can just find one she will take without a struggle. My mom uses it for her cat's hairballs with great luck. I think it might help Velvet's problem too.
I will probably switch to canned food otherwise. Not crazy about that idea, but a cat that can't poop isn't too much fun either. :roll:
Thanks again!

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Just to let you know if you're looking for canned foods thats healthy and that has alot of gravy, try Nutro Choice, they're packets of wet food and it has alot of gravy and is healthy too! Good Luck :lol:

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kitkat said:
Just to let you know if you're looking for canned foods thats healthy and that has alot of gravy, try Nutro Choice, they're packets of wet food and it has alot of gravy and is healthy too! Good Luck :lol:
Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to look around to see what is available. We only have one big pet store in town and the selection is a little limited unfortunately. I will look for Nutro Choice though. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts