Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted before on my little Emma's issues, but, briefly, she has a diaphragmatic hernia and there's no guarantee she'll make it if she has surgery; plus, the surgery is between 500 to 1000, of which I don't have right now. So I've been researching on alternatives since she can't be spayed at this point either. The vet, if he's going to try the surgery at all, he only wants to put her under once, and he would probably have to bag her then. So she's going on eight months old and she's been through two heat cycles so far. The first lasted four days - not too bad - but the last time was a good ten days, and it was miserable for her - me too! ;) She's due to be back in heat any day now. But, anyway, when posting about having her spayed before, someone told me about feralstat, an organization who gives kitty contraceptives to people for feral cat communities. I called in hopes they might consider Emma; even though she's not in a feral cat community, she still has a great need. I gave the lady I spoke to Emma's info and the doctor hasn't called me back yet. It's been a week, and they may not even call back.

So does anyone know of another company that I might speak to about contraceptives? I can't find anything else that's solid on the Internet. Neither vet I've taken her to even mentioned it. But I understand you have to have a prescription for them. I'm so desperate to find her some relief. I've tried the Q-tip and thermometer suggestions, even the vet did it, but I guess she's too smart for that trick. It doesn't work for her. Any help would be most appreciated!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi, Mary!

The FeralStat, that's the one I called, but they won't call back. I really would rather have this because it actually keeps the cat from going into heat and not just prevent the pregnancy, which I'm not worried about. She's inside only, so that's not a problem.

Thanks for researching too, but the Ovaban doesn't sound like it's anything I would want Emma on. If it has bad side effects, she may be even worse off taking it. Sounds like you had a time with it with your kitty. I hope she got all right!

If you find anything else, please pos it. I'll keep researching too. I just can't believe there's not something out there for kitties with "issues."

Thanks again!

KK :smile:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts