Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quick summary, for those who havent read my other posts about this kitten.

Allie, almost 5 months old, has a torn ACL...seems to have mostly recoverd. She is running, jumping, playing. Not really favoring the leg at all anymore. Through overwhelming feedback from several different vets, we have decided not to have the ACL surgery done. Most vets have told us there is too much risk involved performing this surgery on a small kitten with "open growth plates". and have also been told that with or without the surgery, she is going to have arthritis.

We added another kitten, Mr higgins, also about 5 months old, absolutly effin sweeter than pie. After initial fussing from Allie, they have made freinds, and play like crazy together, bathe eatchother and sleep cuddled up together.

whats upsetting me is that Allie seems to have almost completely lost interest in my Wife and I. She walks away when we try to pet her, she dosnt sleep in our bed anymore. And when i pick her up to love her, she will actually growl at me and lay her ears back! its really upsetting. She was SO sweet before, and she was SO lovey with us, and slept most of the night with us every night, woke us up demanding attention every morning.

Ive noticed that if i keep her in our room by herslef for a while, then go in to see her, she is totally different. She will actually want some attention. while Mr Higgins is the same wether or not Allie is around.....he is ALLWAYS loveable and sweet as ****.

I dont get it.....is this maybe because she is stilll too infatuated with the new kitten? if he is anywhere around, she wants NOTHING to do with me. :( :( :( :( :( :(

could it be that she is mad as us after her recent spay?
could this be a permanent personality change? god i hope not......she was realy realy sweet before, and now, i hate to say, but im not liking her! :? shes not friendly or social with us unless she has been isolated in our room for a few hours.......then i feel like she is only being nice because she wants us to let her out!
has any one had any similar experience?????

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Re: kitty doesn't seem to like us anymore, making me sad :-(

Don't worry, it's completely normal for them to be standoffish for awhile. I'm thinking it's that they don't want to make an idiot out of themselves infront of the new kid. :D
Every time a new cat comes into the mix, the dynamics of the household change but, I'm sure Allie will be back to her lovey self eventually, maybe a little differently, but just as sweet!
When I brought Nanook in, Little-one, who had been the most affectionate cat, barely spoke to me for a few weeks. I was heartbroken. But, eventually, he started to come around. At first he would be being all cute and cuddly but, the second he noticed Nanook was looking, he'd stop dead in his tracks. Like. "No that wasn't me letting her pet me! You're seeing things. I'm way too cool for that!" It was actually pretty funny. But soon he was back to his old schmoozing, drooling, goofy self...even when Nanook was watching. They can only hold out for so long!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol....i hope thats the case!!

i think you are right though...because a week ago i walked into my bedroom and Allie was on the bed with my wife cuddling and being sweet, then Mr Higgins came in to get into the action and all the sudden Allie was too cool, and just walked to the end of the bed and sat there looking prissy...

its funny that a little kitten can show SO much attitude in her face..but i can just see it, looking all put-out and annoyed

·
Registered
156 Posts
hazel presented the same behavior when nadia joined us. hazel used to lay in my lap and cuddle on the bed! but when nadia came, she wouldnt let me near her! several months passed and now 2 years and hazel still is stand-offish towards me :( she doesnt run away anymore and when i pick her up she doesnt hiss or growl. but things have never gone back to the way it was! if she is in the bed sleeping and i come lay down she jumps off the bed! i hate to say so, but it is possible that things wont return to the way it was, but it is also very possible that they will! just try your best to show her that you still love her as much as you did! good luck!

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Sorry to hear your kitty never came around completely. It can happen but, more often than not, if the introduction goes well and the kitties are good friends, the resident cat will go back to being affectionate with his/her owners. Especially with a cat Allie's age.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Before Higgins, all of the attention Allie received came from you and your wife. After Higgins, it seems like she may feel she is getting *too much* attention, unless she has been isolated for a while and is then receptive to being fussed over by her people.
What I would do, is continue to pet/handle Allie, but keep it short-and-sweet. Pet, pet, pet and then walk away or stop. YOU always stopping the attention before she is ready to say 'stop'. However, by continuing to pet and handle her, when she *does* decide she likes the attention, you won't have "missed its' return" due to you not handling her at all, because you will have been handling her all along.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
My cat Fay has been training my other Cat Mia to stay away from me. It's a jealousy/ownership thing and the results sound like what you're seeing. What happened initially when all 3 of you were together? Mia loved to be petted and had a deep purr around me but then Fay started irritating Mia away from me. Fay would come over and lick Mia when she was near me, sometimes licking her fur in the wrong direction!, until Mia's tail would start thumping and then she'd leave. Eventually Mia started to associate my petting her with a hassle....unless she's in a room with the door closed, if it's open and Fay isn't there she's enjoy the petting and purr but keeps an eye on the door till Fay's arrival.

Maybe you've been claimed as the property of another cat. Watch what happens, it can be subtle.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies everyone......she such a prissy little girl!

to my enjoyment....Allie woke me up in the middle of the night demanding attention, ramming her head into my hands and purr-meowing at me. She wanted a solid 30 minutes of petting....normally i would have shrugged her off because i want to sleep at 3am, but since shes been stand-offish latley, i gave her what she wanted.

then of course Mr Higgins came in and started meowing like "HEY! whats going on in here? why wasnt i inlcuded!!!?!?!" and Alllie immediatley left the room. It realy does seems theres some sort of jealosy thing going on.

she sat on my lap last night when i got home for ONE minute, until Higgins came around. Im thinking maybe Higgins is jealous too, because ANY time he sees her getting attention, he has to butt-in!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dave_ph said:
Remember the things you said you did to irritate your cats?

I warned you they'd win.

LMAO...well, needless to say, im not messing with Allie now. Beisdes not wanting to agitate her injured leg, i dont want to **** her off any more.

Mr Higgins is the focus of my torture now, its not really any fun with him though, he seems to like ANYTHIGN i do to him. Hes such a sucker for attention....no matter how obnoxious i think im being he just closes his eye and purrs in enjoyment..... :?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HAHAHAHHAA OMG!!!! i didnt realize the forum replaces bad words with more appropriate ones...i was looking at my above post thinking 'urinate her off? how the he!! did i make that typo?" p1$$ her off...LMAO

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, maybe i should have waited a few more days before posting this thread. Now Allie seems to like us again. Though its very obvious, she prefers her effection time with us when Mr Higgins is out of the room. she has mostly stopped walking away from me when i pet her, and she is letting me hold her again, i just cant hold her for to long, or she will growl at me. but she gives clear warnings before she gets to growling and clawing away from me, so its easy to know when i should put her down.

i still think there is a major personality change with the new cat, she is nothing like she was before. but at least she is loving us again~! such a relief! it was heartbreaking when she didnt want anything to do with us.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i am SOOOOOOOOO very happy. My little baby Allie is back to herself. She is still much more mellow, but im guessing thats part of growing up, and being spayed.

She dosnt growl at me anymore AT ALL, when i pick her up. and she has gone back to being quick to purr, and demanding of attention. Shes back to greating us at the door when we come home, and waking us up with purr-meows at wee hours of the morning.

:luv :luv :luv

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Awesome! That is so nice to hear!
I wonder if it was a combination of things...her hurting her leg and then having to deal with an "interloper" in her home. Maybe her growling at you, was her grumbling way of saying she didn't like the 'changes' in the home, but by just sticking it out everything has worked out very well...? No matter what the reasons, I'm glad everybody is happy. =^..^=

1 - 16 of 16 Posts