Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we got our kitten, I noticed he liked to drag his butt...does that mean he has worms? I haven't spotted any worms in this poo...should I take him to the vet???

·
Registered
33 Posts
This probably isn't going to help much but I think I remember seeing one of my cats do that once. And if I remember correctly...*ahem* after he had done #2, it was still dangling from his back end so he was trying to remove it. lol You aren't noticing any poo laying around, are you?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think that might be the best course of action right now - just to be on the safe side. My cats get a dewormer from the vet every year with their regular check ups.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The vet can do a fecal smear if you're concerned... as there are plenty of other intestinal parasites that are not worms. I've only ever heard of the butt dragging for poo removal, butt irritation, or worms, so I guess you're dealing with one of the latter two, as you said his butt is clean. Does it look irritated at all?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I would suggest you take him in for a fecal test. They can test for parasites and go from there.

If he's never been dewormed before, that's probably what it is. Don't get the over the counter dewormers though. Most of them aren't safe.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Besides worms, it's possible he has blocked anal glands. This is often a reason for butt dragging. Have your vet check these as well.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Celia "scoots" once in a while, and though I've only ever seen her leave anything visible, she definitely uses the carpet to clean herself. That one time, she left a nice streak across the carpet. I guess there's maybe just a little bit stuck there. Don't want to think about what I haven't witnessed, but if there was anything, it wasn't enough to be visible (on a light-colored carpet) or to smell.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We're taking him to get neutered and declawed next month, and we'll make sure they check back there as well to see if somethings up. Thanks for all the helpful comments!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Declawed? Please don't. I'm honestly not trying to be condemnatory but you could potentially cripple your cat and you are removing a whole lot of a cat's natural fight or flight defences. You may hate my guts for this but I am genuinelly begging you not to do it.

·
Banned
198 Posts
Please re-think the de-clawing!
When I was younger, I decided to declaw my kitty, Pumpkin.
We had here since she was a baby..
When I asked the Vet to do it-he did try to persuade me not to...
I had allergies, she was scratching the furniture, etc...thought it would be ok to do...I thought I understood that it would be a bit painful..
I was very naive, then.
When Pumpkin came home and I saw her paws, I felt bad..
She became a very different kitty. As it healed, Pumpkin became more, can't say viscious-but different.. She did not want to be held, brushing was harder to do, started biting, Absolutely could not touch her paws...
As I got older, I regreted the decision to declaw.
She continued this 'new' behavior until she went to the Rainbow Bridge.
I then researched the declawing procedure and felt horrible that I asked for this to be done!
Please research this procedure--I will bet you it is not what you expected..
It is an amputation of the first part of the claws.. not just the nail!
It is like cutting off the first joint of you fingers..
Now I have Artie...
He has all his toes! and all I do is take him to either the groomer or the Vet every 4-5 weeks..
You can even learn to do that yourself! Artie is adopted, 8 yrs old, a sweetie, but never had any of this done to him--so he goes to the groomers!!
Please do the research on this before...
thanks for listening..
Cyn and Artie!! and Pumpkin..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh wow! I didn't know that, well, he definitely won't be getting declawed then. Time to invest in some kitty clippers to take care of those claws!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Oh wow! I didn't know that, well, he definitely won't be getting declawed then. Time to invest in some kitty clippers to take care of those claws!
Thanks for reconsidering. Most people don't realize what declawing actually does, and since vets provide it as a routine service, people don't think twice about it.

there are a million other ways to alleviate inappropriate scratching, and this forum will be super helpful if that ever becomes an issue!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm glad you decided against declawing!

Not only can it change a cat, it can also make them more prone to biting because that's their only way of defending themselves.
They'll also be more likely to not use the litter box since their paws get super sensitive and they don't like the feel of the litter.

It's definitely better to just trim their nails and get him started on using a scratching post instead of using the furniture :) My favorite is the SmartCat Ultimate scratching post :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've seen my cat do it just twice, on very separate occasions, in which case it was probably just her trying to wipe off some remaining stool. However if this behavior became regular I'd get a fecal test done because it could be worms.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts