Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess first off I should say hi and I'm new! I have 2 cats...Spaz and Keeter. I've had Spaz since she was a kitten (6 yrs) and just got Keeter last fall when my boyfriend moved in.

I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but Spaz drools when she's loving on me. She'll get up in my arms, wrap her paws around either side of my neck and do "biscuits" with her paws, all the while headbutting my chin and drooling. She's been doing this for about a year now.

A little history about Spaz...she doesn't like anybody except me, she hisses and runs away from everyone. If I pick her up when she doesn't want to be picked up, she'll squirm to get down and occasionally hiss and swat at me. She's warming up to my bf though and is getting to where she tolerates him petting her and sometimes picking her up.

She has all her shots, she's been checked out by a vet who says she's fine (didn't tell him about the drooling though, just regular checkups).

I guess I'm just concerned she's trying to tell me something other than she's the happiest cat in the world! Do you think she could have some medical problem or could she really just love me that much??

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
651 Posts
She sounds exactly like my Lemur. Most of our guests have never seen Lemur since she is such a spook--she only loves me, but loves me intensely (the drooling, etc.). I do not pick her up since she doesn't like it. I let her come to me. I really believe that spookishness is an inherent trait--a kind of shyness. We also have her brother, who is very friendly and outgoing.

Lemur is 3 and is just now getting to where she doesn't always run from my husband...who she's also known all her life.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have read that drooling is sometimes a sign that the cat was taken from it's mother to early. When cats do the kneeding thing, it's a callback to when they were kittens and the did that on mommy's stomach for milk stimulation. Apparently drooling is a similar thing (preparing themselves to feed). I it's usually a normal and heathy thing.

·
Registered
651 Posts
That's interesting, Bean. Lemur would be an exception to that, though--we left her with her mom until her mom started beating the he** out of her; at least 12 or 14 weeks... so in her case, who knows. She did have a bad infection and high fever as a kitten...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies!!

Spaz's mom was a stray and a nice family took care of her and the kittens. Spaz was about 6-7 weeks old when we got her, so I think it's safe to say she was taken too early.

I like the way you call the other behavior she exhibits "spookishness"...that really does describe her...sometimes if she hears a loud noise she'll jump, sudden movements kinda freak her out too. I wonder if this could be related to her mom being a stray.

Oh, and the family that took care of her and the kittens took her in and got her spayed and kept her indoors after they gave away the kittens. I was very happy to hear that they did that. :)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

Yup, some kitties will drool when deliriously happy in your lap getting petted and cuddled. Normal, nothing to worry about. My Ginza does this, and he looks up at me like he's on drugs or something. It's soooooo cute.

When there is cause to worry about drooling is when the cat looks like they're having difficulty eating or swallowing, since that will indicate tooth decay/problems or other issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
'deliriously happy' yea that's my maggie, drool drool drool, she's so silly getting attention from me I've dropped her on a pillow from my arms and she won't try to right herself. A vet's opinion was seriously content.

Also, Bean I agree, I really think she was taking away to early. I found her in a field as a kitten about 13 years ago and she's been more stuck on me than any cat I've ever had.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That makes sense now that I think about it. When she's in her drooling and snuggling mode and I want to get her off of me, she holds on tight and won't let me put her down. Guess she really does just love me so much she can't help drooling..lol

She's eating and drinking fine..doesn't have any problems with that. She plays alot, chases anything that moves, and is otherwise very healthy. Her breath doesn't smell or anything, so I don't think it's likely she has any tooth or gum problems. I take her to the vet once a year for a checkup and any shots she needs also, and she always gets a clean bill of health!

Thanks again for all the replies...this is just the first time I've had a cat that does this! I've nicknamed her my little slobberbucket since she started it too. :) She doesn't mind it..just keeps right on drooling and headbutting my chin!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts