Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my cat Saturday. The shelter was feeding Science Diet for kittens - she is 5 months old. Should I stick with this??? She's on dry only, any reason to add wet food to the diet?

Thanks!

Valerie

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Wet food is much better for cats than dry (refer to the sticky for more info), and science diet is generally not a good food to feed because it has a high amount of carbohydrates. Basically the rule of food would be the lower the amount of carbohydrates and the higher the amount of moist/raw food you can incorporate in a cat's diet the better. No matter what you decide to feed you will have change slowly though or your kitten can get an upset stomach.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More on wet food....

Kristen,

Thanks!!!!

Do you think that iam's wet food is a good choice? I'm in a small town and don't have access to Petsmart or anything....just Walmart.

Valerie

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I'm not familiar with their wet food. In general, you usually have to pick cans up and look at the ingredients of each brand and flavor. You want the first several ingredients to be meats and/or broth. Try to stay away from foods with high amounts of by-products, digest, meal, and corn. Also, you don't want to feed fishy foods to often because they are highly addictive and unhealthy for cats. You will probably end up feeding flavors from several different brands.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Walmart does have some decent wet food.
From Food Products
Fancy Feast - Canned
Only THESE specific cans don't contain wheaten gluten of any kind.
Chopped Grill Feast; Cod, Sole & Shrimp Feast; Flaked Fish & Shrimp Feast; Gourmet Chicken Feast; Gourmet Seafood Feast;
Tender Beef Feast; Tender Beef & Chicken Feast; Turkey & Giblets Feast; Gourmet Salmon & Shrimp Feast; Ocean Whitefish &
Tuna Feast; Savory Salmon Feast; Tender Beef & Liver Feast; Tender Liver & Chicken Feast; Tender Turkey Feast for Kittens;
Tender Ocean Whitefish Feast for Kittens.
www.fancyfeast.com/all-products

Friskie's Classic Pate - Canned
Mixed Grill, Chicken & Tuna, Turkey & Giblets, Supreme Supper, Country Style,
Poultry Platter, Liver & Chicken
www.friskies.com/Wet-Cat-Food/Poultry/Default.aspx
Sea Captain's Choice, Salmon Dinner, Classic Seafood Entree, Mariner's Catch, Ocean Whitefish & Tuna
www.friskies.com/Wet-Cat-Food/Seafood/Default.aspx
I wouldn't use any of the Iams products either because of first off, they have had many recalls lately, and second because of the animal cruelty charges filed against them.

You do want to try avoid fish wet food. Some of the Friskies and Fancy Feast foods do have fairly good ingrediants. The first one I'd choose from Friskies is the Poultry Platter because the first ingrediant is Turkey unlike most of the varieties whose first ingrediant is meat by-products.

Also, if you can, it is best to not feed dry food. Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health has more information on why wet is better than dry. Another option you may want to spend time exploring is raw feeding. Nature's Prey Model explains the basics of what raw feeding is and there is a raw feeding sub-forum on here if you have questions about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts