Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I wont be getting my kitty until July but I am interested in hearing what food and treats are the best to give him. What do you all use? I have heard conflicting opinions about dry versus wet food.
Before I found this site, in my personal experience with my family cats, my mom fed her cats wet food. They would only eat one or two flavors of one brand twice a day. Her cats were all very fat and i remember a few had dental issues. I thought that this means wet food is bad. I planned on feeding my cat only dry food, but now I see that some of the forum threads on here people are saying wet is better. What do you all use? And do you use it because your cat is picky and wont eat anything else (like my moms cats) or because it is the best thing to feed them for optimal health? I want to start him on a healthy diet from the beginning, so he can't opt for the 'junk food' and refuse the good stuff. Also I am interested to hear what treats your cat likes. Thank you for responses! :)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Wet food is better for cats than dry food, and feeding wet food shouldn't result in a weight problem unless you feed too much. My girls are very picky and much prefer dry food (as do most cats). They do get some dry food, but I insist that they also eat their wet (they don't like me!).

I feed a grain-free dry (Blue Wilderness or Evo) and grain-free wet (usually Weruva). Other grain-free foods I feed include EVO and Wellness (pounches), although my girls like Weruva better (because they're picky).

For treats, I feed Go! grain-free treats or Pure Bites (freeze dried treats), both of which are healthy.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I feed Nightmare all grain free canned.

Everyone else I feed a raw diet.

There is no dry food allowed around here.

For treats I use freeze dried meat.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I agree that wet is better than dry. Wet certainly doesn't help their teeth, but dry really doesn't do much for dental maintenance either, since it shatters too easily to be much of a useful abrasive surface. Really the best way to keep a cat's teeth clean is to brush them regularly. The only food that's going to help with dental maintenance at all is a raw diet that contains pieces of bone.

The main issue with kibble is that cats get most of their moisture directly from their food, so a dry-only diet can be dehydrating and contribute to UTIs. The more of their diet that is moist, the better. Also kibble (especially kibble filled with grains) is high in carbohydrates which can contribute to obesity or increase the risk of a cat developing diabetes. And lastly, it's just a highly processed food which some cats (including one of mine) have trouble digesting properly, resulting in soft, stinky stools.

If money is no object and you want to do the absolute best you can, I recommend a grain-free canned food, or a raw diet (homemade if you have the time and motivation, but premade is a totally viable option too).

Wellness, Blue Buffalo, and Merrick all make grain-free canned foods. The Wellness grain-free are marked on the front with a little yellow triangle that says "grain-free." Blue's grain-free line is Wilderness. Merrick's Before Grain line is all grain-free, and some of their Gourmet Entree foods are also grain-free (but you'll have to check the ingredients as they're not marked). Evo is another brand I know of that makes grain-free canned food, although I don't have personal experience with it.

I personally feed my cats a mostly raw diet. They currently get a rotation of the commercial brands: Primal and Nature's Variety (turkey, chicken, and rabbit). Sometimes I toss a little canned Merrick BG Quail or Merrick Cowboy Cookout (beef) in there to give them some extra protein source variety, since one of my cats can't eat raw beef, and I haven't been able to find any raw quail.
When I need to be gone overnight and leave food out, I leave them Stella & Chewy's freeze-dried raw.
Sometimes I feed mine some homemade raw, but I currently don't have the time and resources (I seem to live in an area devoid of butcher shops and Asian markets, so I can't get enough variety or organ meats) to do a full homemade diet at the moment.

I don't feed treats very often, but when I do, I usually use Wellness Pure Delights. I've fed a couple of other freeze-dried and grain-free treats in the past but Athena is picky about treats for some reason and she seems happy with the Wellness. They have salt in them so I don't like to feed them often, but once in a while they're fine.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I agree with everyone that wet only diet is a much better way to go. Cloud's cardiologist was very insistent that she wanted dry food left out for him. He burns significantly more calories then the normal and I was severely underfeeding him before I knew about his issues. So I feed a mostly wet diet and leave some dry food out. Cloud has grown a ton since then. I LOVE the brand Natural Balance. I feed it to all of my kitties who adore it. Cloud used to have bad gas, and since he has been on this food he no longer does. My cats are very shiny and soft and their eyes are so much brighter.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I feed my girls a 100% raw frankenprey diet. (If I didn't, I'd feed a 100% high quality grain-free canned.) I stay away from kibble. I've found on the all raw diet that my cats look and feel healthier and have more energy. Alice and Samantha are garbage disposals, so I can feed them anything and they are happy. Rochelle would probably prefer to be fed fish every day of her life, but fish can contain high levels of mercury and I don't wish to poison my girl (they get a sardine a week for fish).

For treats, I give EVO Wild Cravings Turkey and Chicken, Drs. Foster and Smith 100% freeze dried Salmon Fishies, and Drs. Foster and Smith 100% freeze dried Tuna Flakes (I use the Tuna Flakes as a food topper when needed too).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts