Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 3 month old kittens.
Tigger and Pepper

I am confused as to what i should be feeding them. Some people are telling me that they give their cats only dry food and once in a while wet food as a treat.

Another person was telling me to give them wet food twice a day and always leave out dry food.

Well i bought the 3 oz. can of iams adult formula( the guy at the store said to get adult for the kittens, dont ask me why) and gave them one small can last night. they didnt even finish the one can between the both of them and this morning i saw diareah in teh box.

What should i do.

·
Registered
697 Posts
What were they on before you got them?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I DO NOT KNOW, THEY CAME FROM THE SHELTER.

THEY SEEM TO BE EATING THE DRY FOOD FINE.

SHOULD I JUST NOT GIVE THEM WET FOOD FOR NOW AND LET THEM STICK WITH DRY

·
Registered
13 Posts
Always have dry food out.

My cat, Tigger, does'nt like wet food..it makes her throw up or have diareha.

You should get the kitten food for the kittens. It's better for them..

·
Registered
821 Posts
Well, the diarrhea could be caused from Iams being a low grade food. If you want to introduce wet food, you should try something of a higher grade such as Nutro Natural, Wellness, Innova, California Natural, Eagle Pack...the list goes on. Iams is not a good food by ANY means, wet or dry. If you are feeding your kitten Iams dry, I suggest you switch to a better food....something that contains no by products (check the Iams ingredients list on the bag and you'll see what I'm talking about) and something with less fillers (ie. corn, corn gluten meal etc). Some good dry foods to try are Felidae, Wellness, Solid Gold, Nutro Natural (not top grade but WAAAAAY ahead of Iams), Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul and the list goes on. Nutro is cheaper and more accessible....so if that is all you can find then I recommend that.

My 2 kittens were free fed dry food until they were a year old and ate an ounce and a half of wet at night. They ate and still eat Felidae dry. Now, they get wet food twice a day (equalling 4 and a half ounces) because it is less fattening and just better for them and they only get dry food at night. Try giving your kitten a little bit (maybe an ounce) of wet food once a day.......good quality wet food though. See what happens. Hopefully your kitty will be ok on wet food eventually because it is so good for them! Good luck! 8)

·
Registered
821 Posts
.....also...haha....free feeding is ok when they are kittens...but after they turn a year (or if they are getting heavy) they should be in a scheduled feeding routine. This way you can control their weight, and their intake of food. It helps prevent health problems in the future!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts