Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...but she's back inside, safe. I have this terrible weather to thank.

ugh...it's a snowy, disgusting morning here in NY. Hubby left front door open because he didnt' know I was going out through the garage. Well I'm helping brush the snow off his car (mine's in the garage) and I happen to look back at the apt and the front door is open and Peanut is out and about!! It gave me a heart attack. Luckily she was just sniffing around our neighbor's front door. I gently scooped her up (making a point not to freak out too much and scare her) and brought her inside. I don't think she even knew she was somewhere "off limits." So even tho everything's fine, my mind is racing with "What ifs.." : what if I hadn't looked at the door, what if she had bolted..... Like I said she's fine, I'm still recovering!! :roll:

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'm glad to hear she is ok! Magic did that a few days ago. My boyfriend and I were coming in the house at night, and Magic is black so he's REALLY hard to see in the dark! He got by my boyfriend and since I couldn't see him he got by me too and ended up outside. He just walked gingerly around in the snow, I gently picked him up and brought him in the house. Phew!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a few "door-darters" also, namely, Otis, Max, Amy, and Sammy. It has been found that when you open a door with a door-darter behind it, waiting for an opportunity to get outside, if you take a sheet of cardboard or a rug or something that is large enough to cover the opening of your entrance door (perhaps 3 ft. high), that a cat will not attempt to go outside where he cannot see where he is going. Sometimes I have to use such a home-made device to keep them from going down into the basement.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wayne said:
I have a few "door-darters" also, namely, Otis, Max, Amy, and Sammy. It has been found that when you open a door with a door-darter behind it, waiting for an opportunity to get outside, if you take a sheet of cardboard or a rug or something that is large enough to cover the opening of your entrance door (perhaps 3 ft. high), that a cat will not attempt to go outside where he cannot see where he is going. Sometimes I have to use such a home-made device to keep them from going down into the basement.
Wayne that sounds like a great idea and just what we need! I was hoping for some kind of "baby gate" that would keep jumping kitties at bay!

So, how would I set this up? I can't exactly picture it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like the idea of the barrier to stop them getting out

although our cats are allowed out (I'm in the UK and it is q. common for cats to be indoor outdoor especially in quiet areas, as we don't have such exotic wild life here) we don't allow them out the front door as we don't want them near cars
I always hold my bag close to the ground at the gap in the door
this is particularly good if you have shopping

actually our 2 don't really try to go out the front anymore, it's like they have given up hope of it

·
Registered
220 Posts
Peanuts Mom, I keep a large piece of cardboard just inside the door, so, when I open it I just place it in front of the cat (s) who are attempting to get out. I suggest that you use something that they cannot see through. After a few weeks of its use, they begin to get the idea, that you do not want them outside.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK well now I DEFINITEY need to put something up because she got out AGAIN this afternoon!!

This time I was coming home w/groceries and did what juliahadley suggested, keeping them in front of the hole. Well she darted out anyway, this time further away than this morning!!

Is this the behavior I was told she'd start if she didn't get spayed? Is she "looking for love" or just curious, or what?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
getting out

Absolutely; she may indeed be "looking for love." An female in heat is, shall we say, *highly motivated* to get out. It's very common for cats to come into heat now, even though it's still early in the year. She maybe starting. Please get her spayed before she unloads another batch of homeless kittens on an unsuspecting world!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The spay is scheduled for Feb 11. Even though I'd never let her out of my sight long enough to consummate any relationships!! :wink:

WHat are some other signs of being in heat?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'm glad she's back in, safe and sound!

She'll start yowling and acting like a lunatic if she's in heat.

If she really is getting bad about trying to get out the door, I would recommend some negative conditioning. Go outside with a water bottle or can of pennies, etc. Open the door; if she tries to come out, spray her or shake the can. Repeat until she starts avoiding the door.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Is there any way to move that appointment? If she's never been outside, this seems suspicious. When a female is in heat she cries a lot, wants lots of attention, and finally raises her backside and flags her tail to the side. She will be very nervous.

I waited too long once and a tom found a way into our house! I believe the laundry room window was open just a bit. Well, we soon closed that, but she still had three kittens. I love kittens, but with the number of cats and kittens in shelters, we know that it is unwise to take chances.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's only one way in and out of our apt (the front door) so no suitors will find their way in!

She's not doing any of the other heat "postures," but lately she's been more and more exploratory around the house. For example she never used to care about the kitchen counters, bookshelves, etc...now she's hopping up on them and having a look around.

Is she growing up? I read that 6-18 mos is adolescence and that is when they start jockeying for position and manipulating humans.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
adolescence

I think they start manipulating us humans when they're born, LOL!

The first 2 years are comparable to our first 20. So yeah, between say 10-18 months they're teenagers. But I've seen cats come into heat at 4 months of age, so she could be displaying some early signs.

Even if the worst happened, she's only 2 weeks from her spay appointment so a pregnancy would not even be detectable at that point. So, definitely keep that appointment.

Once her hormones aren't raging, she'll be a bit less curious about the door, although you know what they say about cats and curiosity!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 13 of 13 Posts