Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in knowing what brushes and such you use to groom your kitties. I remember with my moms favorite lap cat, she had a zoom groom and swore it was the best thing ever. She only used it on the one cat, and it was a daily occurence at nite. He would actually seek out the zoom groom (where she would hide it in her pillows) and pet himself with it. I thought it was the coolest thing every cat should have, and I bought my girlfriends each one for their kitties when they got them. But both of them said their cats dont want anything to do with it. I thought this odd because my moms cat acted like it was such a huge treat every day. So apparently the zoom isnt the best for everybody. Or perhaps it actually sucks and my moms cat was a tolkien weirdo. He WAS a strange cat with quite a personality.
So what do you use? how often do you groom them? And do you give your cats baths? if you do, can you tell me how often you bath them, what shampoos you use, how you got your cat to tolerate it, etc?

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
I'm on the side of the Zoom Grooms. My first cat was a long-haired kitty and she loved that Zoom Groom. I'd yell, "Rookie, brush?", and she'd come running and assume the position.

Murphy is short-haired, so I just brush him every night with a regular hair brush. He was skeptical at first, but I quickly won him over and now he loves it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Brushes and whatnot will be dependent on the kitty. A ragdoll will need different coat care then a devon rex. You generally don't need to bathe your cat unless you are getting a cat to show in competitions (in which case you will bathe/groom it for the show) or the cat needs a bathe cause it got dirty (like rolled around in spilled flour) or has fleas. There are of course medical reasons as well. I say all this to say that, generally, bathing isn't a major part of kitty care. Of course there is exception to this depending on breed.

I've got 2 medium hair cats and 2 short hair. I brush each of them every day, mostly because brushing and grooming creates bonding, and occasionally wipe them with Earthbath All Natural Grooming Wipes.

A guaranteed part of grooming your cat will be taking care of their nails. Also, make sure you check your kitties ears. Some cats are more prone to ear wax then others and need their ears cleaned regularly.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I agree with Nicole: the appropriate brush/comb will depend on the cat...whether it's long or short-haired, whether it has a single coat or an undercoat, etc.

As for the Zoom Groom, Abby loves it, while Muffs can take it or leave it. So, even that depends on the cat! I like the Zoom Groom and the Furminator, and I prefer combs to brushes for my girls.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My cat will be short hair with dense soft fur that is ticked and has both undercoat and a topcoat, according to the breeds description. Close to the fur of a bengal.
So what kind of brush do you suggest for him?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I have two medium-haired cats (Samantha and Rochelle) and one short-haired (Alice).

I have a simple plastic brush that I mainly use to brush their coats (once a day for Rochelle, and once every few days for the other girls), and I just got a Furminator for deep down brushing (apparently you can cause yer kitty to go bald if you use the Furminator too much so it's only going to be used once every two weeks).

Every two weeks, the girls get their nails clipped. If you have someone who can help you, it makes the whole thing a lot easier! I hold our girls, and my boyfriend does the clipping. Much better than me trying to hold down a squirming cat and trying to clip at the same time. :p

I've never had to give baths to any of my girls. I do have a box of Petco Grooming Wipes though, just in case someone gets something sticky or whatever on their fur.

Eye 'crusties' can and should be easily wiped away, whenever found. I use Drs. Foster and Smith Eye Clens Pads. They are soft and gentle, and slightly moistened so if the crusty does get a little stuck to the fur around the eye, it removes easily and painlessly.

Ear care is pretty huge around my home. Samantha has chronic ear problems and needs them cleaned often. If I miss a cleaning day, chances are she'll soon be be shaking her head in discomfort (and I'll be back at the vet picking up more actual medication which Sammy hates :( ). I use a liquid cleanser that I bought from the vet...we clean once a week with this and cotton balls to pull out any big stuff. Every other day, I use Drs. Foster and Smith Ear Clens Pads (I love them because they are quick to use, and Sammy likes them because they don't squirt liquid down her ear). They work the same way as the eye pads, soft, gentle, and slightly moistened to get any stuck on crusties with little pain. The other girls get their ears cleaned once a week with the liquid cleanser.

It seems like a lot, but most of these things only take a few minutes to do. And of course if you keep up with grooming, the healthier and happier your pet will be. :)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
My cat will be short hair with dense soft fur that is ticked and has both undercoat and a topcoat, according to the breeds description. Close to the fur of a bengal.
So what kind of brush do you suggest for him?
For regular grooming, I would still go with a comb, since it will get down into the undercoat better than a brush. I would also use a Furminator once every few weeks or so since it does a great job of getting rid of dead hair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts