Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About the second or third "visit" with See-Saw at the shelter, I noticed something...
When she relaxed on her side, exposing her tummy, all her legs were shaking, or twitching. Its a kinda looks like high frequency vibration of a tuning fork or a loose guitar string. Like a very fast shivering as if she was cold.
She was a 1 yr to 1.5 yr old kitty locked in a tiny metal cage in the kitten room, due to her being labeled as being agressive toward other felines. The other cats have free reign in a separate multi-room area.
We consulted the vet, who said that this might've been a reaction to the shelter environment. Stress, nervousness, or just stiff muscles from lack of activity in that small cage, he said.

I noticed it a few times in the past 3 months that we've had See-Saw.
She's relaxed, and calm, laying on her side or back, and her legs and paws, even her head, slightly - ever so slightly - shake. I only see this when she's deeply relaxed, and laying down.
I tested an idea, and threw her favorite toy during a twitch episode- she had no loss in coordination or reactions and jumped up and instantly chased the toy.

She's a wonderful kitty, that seems perfectly healthy, except for this infrequent twitching when idle.

Any ideas to what this might be? Or better yet- should I even worry?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I wouldnt worry, she may be dreaming about something. Or her body could just do this involentarily while sleeping. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lilly said:
I wouldnt worry, she may be dreaming about something. Or her body could just do this involentarily while sleeping. :D
No, this shaking/shivering happens when she's awake, and relaxed, not when she's asleep.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Two of mine do this also. They were feral kittens that I got at about 2-1/2 weeks of age. They kind of shiver when they're extremely relaxed. They are perfectly fine otherwise, so I've never worried about it. Nice to hear they're not the only ones! :)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dr. Jean!
I'll keep an eye on her, but I'll lay my worries to rest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts