Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My blind, deaf, diabetic elderly cat BJ is having trouble with his teeth

the vet has agreed to do a dental on him but it is a few weeks away

in the meantime he is on clindamycin and that makes his tummy upset, he gets loose stools and also he does not want to eat

because he is a diabetic he MUST eat! he can have any canned food- he is not able to eat dry
but he does not want anything i have tried - i have gotten baby food for him, Hills A/D food, tuna, chicken, you name it, it just hurts him too much to eat

any ideas?
i hate to see him feeling so bad and not be able to do anything!!
:(

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
In cases like these maybe there are no rules. I would put some food - blended- on my finger and maybe get BJ to lick it a little at a time. I had to do things like that a lot of times when my pets were sick. They wouldn't eat but out of my hand. I hope you will get a better solution that is not so messy!

·
Registered
65 Posts
if your kitty is blind, deaf, diabetic, and is now having trouble with his teeth, then maybe you should really be thinking about what kind of quality of life he is getting? It's maybe time to say goodbye to your loved kitty, rather then make him go on while suffering..

·
Registered
676 Posts
I will echo everything that has been said here already.

Exactly how old is this cat? I know you are attachted to him, and I don't want to jump to conclusions as this one post is all I know about your cat. But perhaps you should discuss with your vet what you think the humane thing to do would be. As in, if the only way to get this cat to eat any longer, would be forced feeding (which can be VERY stressful for some animals) and therefore only add to the miserableness of their ageing life.

Some things you could try to get her to eat... have you tried any appitiete enhancers? or Flavor enhancers? Pick a wet food that you know your cat has formally liked, and perhaps water it down with warm water and mix it up really well, so there will be no chewing it would just be your cat basically drinking a liquied diet and yet still getting the food neutriants it needs.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts