Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat Smokey has gotten in the habit of waking me up to feed him, which I think is really my fault because instead of ignoring him I am the one who gives in. He will actually resort to biting me though to get me up. My real issue though is that it's getting earlier and earlier now that he wants me to feed him instead of our regular time at about 5am when I usually always wake up. Tonight he even just got me up at 2am. I just don't know what to do and if I try to ignore him than I feel guilty that he's just sitting there hungry. Any advice or info on why he keeps changing the routine? Thanks

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
69 Posts
Cant suggest why hes waking you up earlier, have you changed his feeding time?

As for biting you, couldnt you just close him out of your room :) . Or if you want him in your room, you might have to start ignoring him, and if he bites id shout at him and tell him off.

Nice name too! My old cat was called Smokey :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Maybe something is waking him up and he thinks it is time to go get the human. My cat Ruby started doing this but not for food. I live in a railroad town and a new schedule had a train coming through at 5 a.m. So about 5:05 a.m. Ruby would come in to start the day. When the schedule changed again, so did Ruby.

·
Banned
198 Posts
Artie did that for a while. I leave him food out at night and ignore him when he jumps on me and tries to take the covers off! I get up when it is late, to feed him...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for all of your advice and replies.. What really stood out from all the replies was the one regarding the kitty who changed with the new train schedule. This really caught my attention because I live right by the train station.. Really close only about 100 yards or so. I try to ignore Smokey sometimes but I'm not consistent with that so I know it's my fault that won't work. Lately I've been too afraid to just ignore him because I always worry that what if he's trying to wake me up to warn me of danger or a fire? I always feed him at the same time but now I'm trying to figure out if I'm not feeding him enough during the day so maybe he really is just starving so he wakes me as a result.? So many what ifs...lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts