Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all-

i have a question about the cat litter i just bought. it's called premium choice litter beads, it's those little round silica beads. the girl at the pet store said she absolutely loves it and it has great odor control, so i bought it. i have a stinky kitty. what i'm worried about is how safe it is for my cat, and what the consequences of this litter on the environment are. it says environmentally friendly, but i just can't seem to trust it fully. does anyone have any information on silica litter? all i could find on the internet was product descriptions, no real information. any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I did some internet searching and found that fresh step and arm & hammer crystals are comprised of silica. Both of these companies claim that there are no dangers to the cat. Another website I found spoke of the silica beads and said that if ingested, the beads would not expand and would safely pass through the cat's system. That's about all I could find.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's good to hear, thanks.

well, i decided to give it a try and he just pooed for the first time. i'll let everyone know how the smell thing goes.

one thing, the little beads get stuck in his paws and he shakes them all over, then chases them down. i think i may soon have kitty litter all over the apartment! @@$$

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yes, that's one thing I do recall reading, about the tracking of the beads all over the floor. Good luck... :wink:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe i should get a scrap of carpet to put underneath. my entire apartment is either tile or hardwood. there will be no stopping those little things!! :roll:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Eeeek! I'm done with the all silica litters, I've tried so many and they are just not up to par for my gang!

The first one I tried was "litter pearls".
And yes, they did track now and then (I've never met a litter that doesnt!)

One day, I was filling their boxes up again, and missed, and well the litter went EVERYWHERE, since it was round and able to roll, it really got EVERYWHERE.
I was sweeping for a good long time, as you can imagen!
;)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ha ha! :lol:

so what is the best litter? i'm really having trouble finding a good one that can deal with the poo smell. and i've also heard clumping clay litter is bad. is that true? and why?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I am also looking for the best kitty litter :roll:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Clumping clay litter forms into a hard cement-like material when exposed to liquid.--edit--Actually, it is the active compound, sodium bentonite, that causes the super hard clumping, but all clumping clay litters use it. Also, the mining of the clay is a very evironmentally harmful process, and not at all renewable likt the recycled paper, wood or corn litters-- Think about what happens if your kitty eats some, or even just ingests it by grooming. There are reported cases of death due to blockage of intestines, lungs and nasal passages, mostly in kittens.

I use SWheat scoopable, because it is both clumping and flushable without containing clay. I love it! I have two kittens and get no smell, pee or poo, unless they have used the box less than maybe 2 minutes previous. They like it, had no problems adjusting to it, and I think it smells kind of nice, like bread. I scoop once or twice a day. I found that after a month a complete change of litter was needed.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
awesome, thanks for the info, rayona. 8) i was looking at swheat, that'll be the next one i try.

i also have these dried fish treats i give him, could that be part of the smell problem? would dried beef treats be better?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well, I have noticed that more oily food, like fish flavors, does seem to make them more...pungent. So beef treats might be better. It is all a matter of adjustment at the beginning. I forget which brand of food he is getting, but some people think that lower quality often results in stinkier poo. Best of luck to you and smelly cat. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same problem with litter scattering everywhere. I tried Schweat and a few others you mentioned and they did nothing but scatter everywhere! So I bought my kitty a framed litter box, and I use Feline Pine. It comes in pellet things so when they get out it doesn't stick in between their paws and track everywhere. You could also try Yesterday's News, it's also a pellet kind. You can flush FelinePine, but you can't yesterday's news. Feline pine is great.. it really helps with odor and what not.

hope that helps! :D

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm, i don't think i've seen feline pine around here.... i'll look though! thanks for the suggestion. i have seen a different type of wood litter though. i'm assuming feline pine is wood, correct?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Faile: About the clumping clay litters, they are bad because yes they do expand, but also because they are made of clay, clay is not digestable. ;)
While yes, blockages can happen in smaller animals rodents/ferrets, and young kittens. Reports of such problems happening in adult cats is very rare however. I personally do not use any clumping litter for my foster kittens, though they do change to a scooping once they are big enough (If I have them that long).

At any rate, when I can, I stay away from clumping clay litters.

The 2 enviromentally safe and kitty safe clumping litters I have found are
Papurr
OdorZout.
Both are sold at PetSmart, and possibly other locations. And with my gang they are the only ones to work well enough. But one litter will not work the same for every cat, so you just have to keep trying until you find something you like.

I have tried Sweet Scoop (Swheat), Yesterdays News, Feline Pine, etc etc, and for my gang they do not work, sweet and feline pine don't cover poo smells well enough and yesterdays news doesnt work for urine.
Plus I do not like to use feline pine or other wood pellets because of the toxcisity factor.
Woods like Pine and Cedar often included in any wood litters, and are refered to as "softwood", the part which is harmful is the aromatic hydrocarbons, (phenols). Pine and Cedar is not only potentially harmful to our pets but to humans as well.

And yeah, in most cases fish products, and low end cat foods do make an animal's stool more stinky =p

·
Registered
821 Posts
My kitty is 4 months old and I have just switched to clumping cat litter because I can't stand any of the none clumping ones! I think it's totally just personal preference. If you notice your kitty playing in, eating or licking your cat litter now then it's probably best NOT to get clumping....but if he's just going in and out and not putting it in his mouth then it should be totally fine. My kitten is fine with it, no problems and his box is MUCH cleaner.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Maleke: By kittens I ment around the age of 12 weeks and younger.
A lot of the young kittens as they are learning to potty train themselves, get AWEFULLY filthy, lol, and of course, they will lick that all off (litter included). I've had some kittens come stumbling out of the litter box with litter stuck all over them up to their bellies.
So under those cirucumstances I just do the non clumping for a while.
Though I do agree, in general I defeintly prefer a clumping litter!

·
Registered
2 Posts
another brand of environmentally safe kitty litter is the world's best cat litter. yeah, that's really the name. =) it's made out of corn and it clumps well. the label says its flushable as well. my kitty does track, but it doesn't go far, just around the box itself. and it does a pretty good job of absorbing odors when it's fresh (as long as kitty does a decent job of covering it...), but after a while, the smells tend to linger a bit, even after scooping. Adding baking soda to the litter seems to help. i really like it, except for the slight corn-y (haha) smell that it has. you can check it out at http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i actually already tried world's best cat litter, i thought it smelled like people vomit. maybe i hadn't been scooping enough. anyway, it appears that the swheat will be working out, it's done good so far. only problem is we need a deeper litter box, since it has to be so full cujo kicks it all over. no biggie.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yeah a lot of people have an concerns about corn cob based litters and beddings, some people say that it rots very quickly specially once it gets wet, and it has foul odors.

I have used many different types for my rats, ferret and cats, and have never had a rot problem, or sickening smell.
The overall corn cob's natural smell is a personal preferance though.

I'm glad you found something that's working!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts