Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
occassionally my 6 mo. old kitten tyson makes these hacking noises... he'd sit still and his chest seems to move back and forth as he seems to try to hack out a hairball or something -- but nothing comes out. what is this? is it normal? some of my friends have mentioned that their cats do it too, but it's got me kinda worried :(

any info that you could give me would be great... thanks guys :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yeah, that is common. It is usually just a hairball and even if a hairball doesn't come out, they probably cleared it by the hacking. Happens all the time around here. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, my little girl does it. It worries me when I see her convulsing - it looks really painful and I've yet to see any hairball appear, but she's been molting a HECK of a lot (and I brush more off) so I'm not surprised if she's ingested enough to create a furrball of some kind. Usually it only lasts about 10-15 seconds and then she just licks her lips and goes back to being sweet.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Could be asthma, too--that hacking cough is a common sign.

Suggest getting a non-clay litter like Worlds Greatest, or Swheat Scoop, some type of air filter, and maybe a humidifier. If those work, problem solved!

If you think it's hairballs, a dose or two of vaseline should whoosh them out the other end in no time, and then, problem solved.

(Now, it really would be great if it were that easy...but these are the places to start, at least!)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it was asthma, then that would suck b/c I do have an air filter (Sharper Image one -- they're pricey!) and do use World's Best litter. Ah well, it isn't occurring as much anymore since I've changed the litter, so I think we'll be okay. He only does it occassionally now. And I noticed that my other kitty stopped sneezing a lot more once I changed litter too (indirect plug for World's Best Cat Litter, which now comes in a naturally scented formula :D )

As for the vaseline treatment for hairballs... feed the vaseline to him? Yeah I can't imagine that being easy at all, but will keep an eye out. Thanks for the info, Dr. Jean. As usual, your advice and knowledge is always appreciated... and makes me so happy that I've found cat forum!

:lol:
-- brite

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hmm since I'm down here in the magical land of Oz I don't think I've seen "World's Best Litter" out there - what is it based on if not clay (so I can ask around and see if we have something similar here to try.

Interestingly my girl has been schredding up newspapers and putting them in her tray which is a little.. odd... :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
World's Best Litter is a corn-based cat litter... pretty much dust free, and reduces tracking since the bits of litter are a little bit bigger. It's definitely more expensive than your regular kitty litter -- A 17 lb. bag is about $17 US Dollars (I've found it in my local store for $12 a bag so I buy it there. It lasts longer than regular litter too so it's worth my while, especially it keeps me and my kitties from sneezing a whole lot.

RichardMEL -- try searching online, I'm sure if you wish to try it you can order it from somewhere that ships to Australia :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Vaseline isn't that hard. Just smoosh a fingerfull into the back corner of his mouth through the teeth. It's sticky and he won't be able to spit it out. Actually, a lot of cats come to like Vaseline and will eat it voluntarily. I had one who ate at least one dose of Vaseline every day for 20 years (more when she could con me into it) and led a very happy long life. It's totally inert in the system, therefore completely safe. And cheap. What more could you ask for in a medicine?!!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dr. Jean, you were soooo right! I bought some Vaseline today and just put it on my pinky, and Tyson lapped it right up! He says thank you very much (or "meow meow maaaiiiiiiw") :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts