Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rush (the boy) is just a biit chubby. He was just neutered yesterday. I've heard cats are more prone to obesity once they're neutered. Is this because they eat more food, or because of a change in metabolism, or hormones, or something else? I'd like to keep him in shape. He plays enough and we're training him to walk with a leash and harness (so cute!). We can't really restrict his food because our other kitty was tiiiny (too thin and a bit bony.. always had enough food to eat, just didn't really eat it. and the vet says she's very healthy) and is now pregnant... I don't want to restrict food from her! she's due in 2-3 weeks but then will be nursing. Anyone have any suggestions on how to help keep him from gaining weight while still being able to offer her a bit of extra food? I don't want him to be jealous since they've had a bit of a fight lately (he came back from vet smelling weird, she hissed, now they're a bit standoffish) and i don't want him thinking we're taking her side and giving her extra food where he can't get to it.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Their metabolic energy requirements drop immediately once those hormones are gone (right away, in other words).

My bias is to feed in meals, not food left out all the time, and feed primarily canned food. Dry is where all the carbs and calories are. The high moisture content of canned food keeps the urine dilute, and prevents urinary tract crystals. The high protein content keeps the urine acidic, again preventing crystals. The high fat provides energy in the form cats are adapted to use it in and keeps their skin and coat healthy. Think "cAtkins" diet! :)

Actually, many vet nutritionists are recommending to feed kitten/growth/lactation canned foods to tubby kitties to help them lose weight, and it is also a treatment for diabetes. So, really, yours could both eat the same thing and have it be a perfectly correct diet for each of them. What a kick eh?

We have a number of articles on diet, nutrition, and even play therapy (the clever cat's choice of calisthenics) in our free article library, take a look! http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 2 of 2 Posts