Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, (this a long post)
I am brand new here on the forums. Thx for being here and letting us join. Our kitty "Kitty" came to us 3 months ago. She is an angel: she slept in our bed; was always ready to play; ate like a horse; could jump up at least 6 feet; she was crazy athletic; she would like me to scratch her ears until I had to switch arms; she would fall asleep in my or my wife's lap with her head in our hands; she would wait patiently until we got up on the weekends; she slept on my wife's chest in bed with her whiskers touching my wife's face; she would give us love bites. She is a big beautiful Norwegian forest cat. You get it - she is our perfect little friend.

3 weeks ago we had her vaccinated. Coincidence or what we will never know, but since then she has deteriorated rapidly. She stopped eating about a week ago and her stomach has swollen to a very horrible, uncomfortable size. She has retreated to her safe spot in the house. We just got her test results and she has malignant cancer - lympho-sarcoma.

We have choices from the vet. They can do an ultrasound and a needle-aspiration of the tumor and if it is blocking her intestines they will operate and take it out. Then she will be on steroids. Her best prognosis is 3 months. With chemo she has a possibility of living 2-3 years. They do chemo once a week in hazmat suits. Her trip to the vet. was terrifying. She is tough, but hearing her cry out in fear at the vet. is horrible for us, but she is what matters. We are thinking that more vet visits or chemo might be the right choice for others, but we have decided for our Kitty it would be cruel. I don't want to put anyone down for going w/treatment. With different circumstances we would, too.

She is in her nice warm house surrounded by her toys and her favorite music. She is on pain meds and they have made her more comfortable. She is so emaciated now.

While Kitty still has some dignity and the pain meds are still working we will probably go through with euthanasia tomorrow. I would rather burn than make that decision. She can still drink on her own and get to the litter box. She can still walk by and ignore me - like the queen of the house has a right to do. I will bawl like a baby after she moves on - tomorrow we will play and laugh just like old times and make her last moments as pleasant as possible.

Nobody here knows me, but I thank you for reading this in our Kitty's honor. I will be making a website for her and I will come back and post a link to it. I don't know if we will have any more pets. I had doggies and kitties growing up, but this was my wife's first and honest - those 2 bonded like mother and daughter. We only had her 3 months, but she added so much happiness to our lives... Take care folks...

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Last May my beloved Maine **** Cat Samantha was stricken with cancer 5 days after her 16th birthday, ultrasound scans reveled tumors around her spleen and in her intestines.
Surgery would be extensive and would have provided only a little more time at best.
I couldn't put my beloved friend through this ordeal at her advanced age so I made the choice and she died in her Papa's arms.
We'd been inseparable for for 15 1/2 year and I was and am devastated.
My remaining cat Little Chiquita has been a blessing, if I hadn't had her I would have gotten another cat.
I know as do many people here how much it hurt to loose that special friend, they give us so much love and joy.
I believe we honor their memory when we open our hearts and our homes to another little one who needs someone like us.
They can't take the place of those that have departed but if given the chance can make their own place in our hearts and in our homes.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hi Chuck,

I am very, very sorry...hang in there, a warm hug for you and your wife, you are doing the best for your little one. She was luckier than many other cats; she knew the love of a family.

Love

·
Registered
716 Posts
Chuck,
I am so sorry to hear. I hope you saw my post in your other thread, i can really relate to what you are going through here. Feel free to send me a pm if you need someone to talk to. Stay strong.

-shannon

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am so sorry. I think you're doing the right thing. The first time I had to go through euthanasia I swore I would never have another pet. It took a long time for me to accept another pet but I've had cats & dogs since. One day, about 18 years ago, another stray cat came to my house & adopted me. She's still here but I know the end is near. It never gets easier to lose our babies. You will be in our thoughts.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Many hugs to you :sad:
Though it is a tough decision but you did the right thing. Kitty will be at a better place where there is no pain.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I am so so sorry. So unfair. I'm thankful though that Kitty was able to find her way to you & your wife and the obviously deep love you have for her. I wish for you strength and peace. And I hope some time in the future there is another kitty who is lucky enough to be yours.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I'm so sorry. What a cruel blow, that you've had her for such a short time and are already having to make these types of decisions. I had a similar thing happen -- a cat we had for 2 years, my first cat ever, who died at the age of 3 due to epilepsy.

We all know that you get hugely attached to them within 5 minutes of them being in your house, so please know we understand completely how much you love her in these 3 months you've had.

It's such an awful blow. I'm not sure how we all take it on the chin and keep coming back for more, but somehow we do. I look forward to seeing the web site.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi again cat folks,
Thank you so so much for all the support. I just want to update. Kitty was scheduled with a house call vet today (Wednesday). The veterinarian could not make it but it will happen tomorrow at 1:30p.m.

Monday my wife and I were all over Kitty and I got emotional. My better half wife told me we need to be strong. So I sucked it up. She explained to me that nobody wants to be in depressing atmosphere when the end is near and also that cats can smell and sense fear and sorrow.

So today was probably the most perfect day we ever could have hoped for. We both were fortunate enough to be able to take the day off and spend it with Kitty. I went to the library and got some screwball comedies and some funny books. We let Kitty rest for the morning and she got up on her own early afternoon. She stalked birds and squirrels like she loves to do and then layed in the sun. Then she got up and ate some tuna and lapped up some of the juice and got a nice drink of water. First food in four days. She loves, loves, loves being groomed by mommy - my wife. It was a beautiful grooming session and I got an 18 minute movie of her purring loud getting brushed and combed.

Then I read some funny stories to her and she went to her favorite night window. (Her raccoon friend came to see her at 3:19 a.m. last night.) My wife and I then watched 2 funny movies and laughed and watched Kitty at her window. Right now it is 12:30 a.m. or so and she is still at her window. She is having a wonderful evening.

The routine is my wife goes to bed and I stay up for an hour or so later before I come to bed. Kitty always puts my wife to bed and lays with her then she comes over to me for a drink of water out of the bathtub faucet. Then comes my favorite thing in the world - ear scratching. She leans in to me hard and just loves getting the hardest ear scratching. She purrs SO loud I always end up cracking up and we just have the greatest time. Then I go to bed and she patrols the house for a while. I am now waiting for her to come get her scratching.

I have to say that holding back the emotions is one of the hardest things I have ever done, but I am doing it for her and it seems to have put her at ease and she has had this wonderful day. Again, I thank each and every one of my fellow cat people for the reads, replies, sharing, and condolences. I will be around. Take care, Chuck

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
Great. Send me to bed crying.

What a wonderful post. I know it's the hardest decision to make, but also the most loving, doing what's best for Kitty when your heart is breaking.

You, your wife and Kitty will be in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, I am putting you guys through this now, too. The vet. will be here in 2-3 hours. My wife, of course, is so much better of a person than me in every way. She is staying very strong cheerful. I am not making it. Just checking in here and writing this is snapping me into shape though. Kitty is not as good as last night, which at least confirms our choice (in my mind) to put her down. She seems comfortable - she has her pain meds which we have increased this morning. Well I'm gonna take a shower and I will probably come back for another short post. I am trying not to smother Kitty. I don't know what to do.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Our pets are like our children, but a parent isn't supposed to out live their child.
But due to their much shorter life spans we out live many pets during our life times and it's just heart breaking,we care for them when they're babies and in a blink of an eye they grow up and grow old.
One day they're fine, the next they're old and feeble and we are left with the choice that they can't make for themselves even though it breaks our hearts.
I haven't been fortunate to have human children but I've been blessed with several remarkable pets, each one was different but each one left their mark on my heart and saddened me when they passed from this world to the next.

·
Registered
716 Posts
So sorry chuck, you and your wife are in our thoughts. Sometimes life just isnt fair, and its hard to see our pets suffer. Kitty was lucky to have found a place in your home, even though it was cut short. So many animals dont ever get to experience love like that. Just know that you are doing the right thing, as y

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sorry i hit post by accident, here is the rest of what i was saying:

as your intention is what is best for her.
Hope to hear from you again soon.

Shannon

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi all,

She passed yesterday very peacefully. This is our baby,

·
Registered
348 Posts
Chuck, I am so sorry for your loss. You and your wife sound like such amazing, wonderful caring people. You have a lot of support here. Your sweet girl is precious and surely cannot wait to get those ear scratches on the other side of the rainbow bridge.

<3

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
My deepest sympathy on the loss of your gorgeous Kitty - in time the pain will ease, and you will remember the beautiful day you put together for her. Clearly she worked her magic on you and your wife - the special heartfelt bond we humans are privileged to share with the purring, loving 'tabletop predators' we know as cats. Don't be surprised if another kitty purrs her way into your lives someday...

Fran

1 - 20 of 24 Posts