Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
My advice would be multiple scratching posts, made of different material, in different shapes. My cats have definite preferences when it comes to what they want to scratch. So get yours one with sisal, one with plush carpet, one made of cardboard, one that's vertical, one that's flat on the ground... Basically just give them a few options. Then see which ones they actually use and return the others! :wink

I had a standard vertical scratching post for the longest time, and both of my cats ignored it. So I went out and bought a different scratching post, this time one that was shaped like a triangle with two leaning scratching surfaces, and they both love that thing. I also have something from PetSmart called a 'Dream Curl', and they are finally using that instead of scratching on the stairs.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
When Book was a kitten I would praise both of them like crazy whenever either of them used the scratching post. If he used anything OTHER than the scratching post I would tell him a sharp "NO" and put him by the post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.