Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so worried right now. My cat has been throwing up all kinds of liver, I've tried beef, chicken, duck and turkey liver. She just can't keep it down. She eats only a couple bites and it will come right up, along with anything else she had during the evening. She seems to be fine with kidneys, it is just liver. I know that liver is absolutely essential so naturally I am very concerned. She has a very sensitive stomach and will positively throw up any kind of beef or lamb. She can keep down poultry and pork, however, so this is mainly what I feed her.

I plan on ordering some dried liver treats - will this be enough for her? Or is it okay to feed her canned a couple meals a week (is Natural Balance okay?) in order to give her an adequate supply of liver?

I really don't want to give up raw as she loves it and is the healthiest she's ever been in years.

I will continue to feed her bones and kidney but I am of course very worried about the well being of my cat.

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Is it freeze-dried liver? If it's liver TREATS--kibble w/ liver in it--that will not be good enough. If it's freeze-dried liver, it may be.

I can't imagine why a cat would throw up JUST liver, though. Makes no sense. Have you tried mixing it into something else?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, hoofmaiden. I have absolutely no idea why she is throwing up liver - I am going to look for alternative ways to get it into her. The quail I buy does have the organs included inside of it, so she does get liver from that, and keeps it down, but I really don't think its enough.

I have looked up freeze dried liver (by Beefeaters), however all I can find is stuff for dogs - is it okay to feed Boo this? Or are there treats specially for cats?

I am going to feed her a different brand of chicken liver today and see it how it goes.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Our eldest would throw up beef liver but not chicken.. so we gave only chicken liver for months, now he can handle beef liver. Who knows why!

I would use the dog treats as long as they're 100% dehydrated liver. Also, I might try giving your kitty TEENY TINY pieces of liver daily. Something so small, you almost can't see it. :)

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Zhondriela said:
I have looked up freeze dried liver (by Beefeaters), however all I can find is stuff for dogs - is it okay to feed Boo this? Or are there treats specially for cats?
Link?

If your quail has organs, you might try to add mice to your feeding plan and then you would probably be covered, organ-wise. :)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
You might also try pan frying the liver. While not ideal, cooked liver is better than no liver at all, and it may make the difference betwen her keeping it down and bringing it back up.

Laurie

·
Banned
15 Posts
You can try scissoring it up into smaller pieces?
I cut mine up small, because one of my cats is too pampered to even eat something larger than his mouth :dis
I never had incidences of vomitting though, I don't know if it'll work for yours too, maybe you can try, but don't quote me :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts