Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...I'm new to Cat Forum! My name is Lisa, and I am the proud owner of an 8-yr. old tabby, named Jack and a new furball Abyssinian/Tabby mix named Tom.

Tom was a recent adoption from a local Humane Society, and last week the day before we brought him home, the clinic called and informed me that he caught an upper respiratory infection. They wanted to tell me this, as he couldn't be neutered prior to being brought home, as he couldn't go under anesthesia.

In any event..we brought him home with Amoxil to give him 2 X's daily every 12 hrs. From the beginning, it seemed as if his URI was not as severe as I've heard or read about. There was no runny nose at all, his eyes have been very clear and he's only sneezed about 5-6 times total since Saturday.

Could it be that he has a very mild case? I would love to be able to afford Tom a bit of freedom at this point, but I don't want to get my other 8-yr. old cat sick, either.

The Humane Society recommended isolation for 7-10 days, but I just don't think Tom is that ill.

Any thoughts? We're on day #4 here of isolation!

Lisa :)

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Day 4 is nearly half way through. It is always better to be safe than sorry. You would never forgive yourself if you lost your other cat because of this. Prevention is better (and cheaper) than the cure!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give it the 7-10 days, but I'll probably go more toward 7 days, as the little kitty is doing so well. My other cat is fine with this little guy being in the other room! The Humane Society said the isolation was important for the time that Tom is on his meds. Once those are gone, we would be able to implement a gradual introduction.

Based on what I described, could this be a very mild URI? I'm grateful for that, as I've heard what a serious case can be like.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also...will this little kitty be a permanent 'carrier' now that's he's had a bout of URI? I've done some reading on it, and that's what it seems.

Help!

Also, as I said, this has to be the mildest URI I've ever heard of, and he truly seems fine, but I will give it the 7-10 days recommended. He's getting sick of these four walls!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: Tom has been free for most of the day, and it's been GREAT! Jack and Tom have been getting along for the most part, and there's absolutely no sign of the virus at all. We finished the Amoxil last night, so we ended the 'isolation'. We had to give the Amoxil every 12 hours for seven days.

Anyway, just wanted to give everyone an update on my two boys. They are doing great, and I'll try to get a few pics of them together and post them soon.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I'm glad they're getting along well. As far as being a "carrier," that could be the case only if an underlying, serious problem, caused his URI. A cold is a URI; pneumonia is a URI. I hope the Humane Society would not release an animal with a serious condition-especially a contagious one- to be around other cats at all! If in doubt, call and ask what types of tests he has had.
Good luck, Lisa.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a follow up appt. this Wednesday, so I'll be sure to ask thet vet what types of tests were given regarding his URI.

Today is a new day, and the boys are playing together...it's so cute to watch. Reminds me of when Jack was very little and antagonizing Floyd. Eventually, Jack won him over. I see the same thing happening now!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another update:

Both kitties are playing together and co-existing well. There is absolutely no sign of the URI in either cat, and we are heading to the Humane Society tomorrow for a follow-up appt.

Next up: date with neutering for Tom.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
When I brought my Kitty in for a dental cleaning, and she was there all day she caught a URI. It comes back every 2 years or so. Yours sounds the same as mine, just a lot of sneezing, no other symtoms.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went today for a re-check after his round of Amoxil after the upper respiratory infection, and he got a clean bill of health. We scheduled his neutering appt. for 6/29. I wish he didn't have to spend the night, but alas he will. I will pick him up first thing in the AM on the 30th. :)

Other than that, I thanked all the volunteers and adoption counselors and told them that they are providing a valuable service to the community and that Tom is a true gift to our household after losing my feline companion of 13 years about a month ago. It's just nice to open my home to a little fella again. Makes me appreciate my animal friends even more. :)

So, all's well...Tom has assimilated well into our family, and I don't expect any setbacks from the URI.

I'll try to get Tom and his big step-brother in some pics together, so you can see them. The size difference is amazing...Jack is 23 pounds, and little Tom topped the scales today at 3.6 pounds!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I'm glad all is well, Lisa. It's so hard to lose a pet after all of those years, but often a new and needy little friend eases the pain a bit. Kittens and young cats take a lot of time and attention. You've saved a little life. :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I'm glad all is well, too. It's just so nice to have another little feline in the house, although I'm sure my 8-yr. old cat would beg to differ. I notice the older cat softening up as the days go by, though!

We're off to our regular vet today for Tom's vaccinations!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went to our regular vet, and Tom received his distemper booster #2, and we'll return in 4 weeks for the next booster and rabies, and then he'll be good for another year. Also, Tom will be neutered on 6/29 at the Humane Society where I bought him.

Vet said that Tom looked like a lively, spunky little guy. I told him that was the truth!

Anyway, all is well, and this vet, too, said the URI looks completely resolved. Yippee!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts