Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So I am having serious issues with my kitten Bella yowling. Let me give you a bit of backstory.

First, I moved a month ago and went from living in a convertible studio apartment with no interior doors to a two bedroom apartment with interior doors. And a roommate who very much does appreciate this yowling habit. Bella is a year old and prior to the move she didn't have to yowl to get my attention. She could just bat my face.

She yowls in the early AM, roughly 5 AM (sometimes 4) to get me to wake up and feed her. It is persistent and loud. Bella is on a feeding regimen that is twice daily. When I try to free feed her she will eat the entire helping of dry food immediately, even if it makes her sick. So it is not like I can leave her dry food out at night for her.

Has anyone had this problem? How do you solve her yowling? It is really beginning to bother my roommate because last night it started at 3:00 am.

Thanks in advance, I hope you can help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also add that it stops as soon as she is fed and if I open door she scutters off to kitchen to show me the way to her food. She seems to be getting enough to eat as she isn't bony and isn't loosing weight.

And she gets plenty of attention. She is snuggled on my lap as I right this, purring away happily!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would try to ignore her during the night and only feed her at set times. Eventually she should get used to the routine. Maybe it would help if you give her her second meal just before going to bed so she doesn't get hungry again in the middle of the night. I feed my cat in the morning after I get up, in the evening when I have my own dinner and she gets a little bit more when I go to bed. It usually keeps her quiet until I have to get up again.

·
Registered
415 Posts
We have the same problem, except in our case, hubby and I can ignore the meowing and she will stop but my kids' room doesn't have a door (old house and you have to go through that room to get upstairs) so she would wake the kids up at 3 or 4am. I had to start putting the cats in the basement at night so they would leave the kids alone. Mostly Miley. When she was missing for a week, Ollie didn't wake anyone up at night. But they are littermates and very attached to each other so it's only fair to put them both downstairs. I give them their dinner down there, and leave them until the alarm goes off in the morning, then I bring them back up and give them their breakfast. Do you have a room you can close her in at night? Other than that, I would say try to ignore it. We have fans that we keep running in our rooms at night, helps drown out all those little noises that would otherwise wake us up at night. Maybe if you leave a tv on for her or something it might help. Good luck!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would try to ignore her during the night and only feed her at set times. Eventually she should get used to the routine. Maybe it would help if you give her her second meal just before going to bed so she doesn't get hungry again in the middle of the night. I feed my cat in the morning after I get up, in the evening when I have my own dinner and she gets a little bit more when I go to bed. It usually keeps her quiet until I have to get up again.
This is exactly what I do as well. I also feed an all wet diet. I don't know if this helps them feel more satisfied until the next meal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts