Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 8-yr. old cat has always had dirty ears, and the vet (any one that I've ever gone to) never mentioned anything. It's not that it's stinky or overly noticeable, but just more wax than I've seen in some cats ears.

Make any sense? I'm probably just more confusing!

Lisa :)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I don't have any good solutions for cleaning, I generally let them take care of that themselves. :wink:

Where did kitty come from? A shelter? If so, I would also suspect ear mites. Make sure you mention it to the vet when you bring the cat in for it's first check up. :)

P.S. We're waiting for some pictures of both of your cats. :lol:

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
He's very cute. :)

I see your location, Grand Blanc. Did you get him from the Rochester Hills Humane Society?

·
Registered
611 Posts
There are many over the counter ear cleaners for cats. Cats do not much like ear cleaners, though, consider yourself warned.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My kitties still have dirty ears after getting rid of their ear mites... the vet said that usually the glands inside the ears usually end up being oversensitive after an ear mite infestation... i got an ear cleaning solution from her called Oticalm, which doesn't contain alcohol in it, and is supposed to help clear the rest of the wax in their ears. Perhaps your vet will prescribe something similar for your cats as well :)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
YES! That is a great shelter! I would say if he came from there, he wouldn't have been sent home with ear mites. :)

My vet usually cleans my cats ears when I bring them in, so maybe yours can give you a good recommendation for regular cleaning.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, I'll be sure to ask the vet when I take him in for his first visit. I have to return to Rochester Hills to follow up on Tom's URI, and then have him neutered, so perhaps I can ask them about it.

That shelter really was fantastic. I was impressed with their adoption counselors, too. Really took their time, making certain that the kitten was the right fit with our family.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
All three of the Detroit area Michigan Humane Societies are absolutely fantastic. (Rochester Hills, Westland, and Detroit.)

I moved out of the area, but when I move back in about a year, I'm going to volunteer. My brother does it, and loves it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sure they are all fantastic. I've just been so impressed with the people at the Rochester Hills facility. In person or on the phone, they have been very polite and patient with me. When we got Tom, the adoption counselor took her time, asked us several questions, and made certain that the cat we chose was going to be a good fit in our household.

Love them! Bless you for volunteering!

·
Registered
192 Posts
i just adopted my first pair of pets ever... two 5-7 week old rescue kittens. their ears are horrnedously dirty and i pulled out some chunks of dirt. most likely there are ear mites too. dropped some advantage on them both to get rid of the hundreds of fleas on them.

anyhow, i've never been to a vet before. how much does it cost to get their ears cleaned? i bought this solution at petco that was supposed to be used with a qtip... but maybe i should have the vet do his/her thing.

·
Registered
366 Posts
When Pfeffa had an ear mite problem a couple years back, the vet used a q-tip on her in the office to get some of the gunk, but suggested that I use torn up bits of cotton balls (I don't even stick q-tips in my OWN ears) moistened with a little mineral oil. Very cheap and effective.

Disclaimer: If you kitty has build up in her ears, definitely start with a vet check for ear mites. They're very uncomfortable for the cat, and they can damage their ears with all that digging and scratching.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Ospunkyo just said what I was going to post. That's how I clean my cats' ears. The ear mites don't like the oil much. Some older vets use it to get rid of ear mites, but there are much faster ways to do it. Dr. Jean said they cause intense itch, so try to get the medication asap.

Don't use a q- tip, because you might damage the cat's ears. That's for the vet to do. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts