Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Friday I ended up taking Kitty to the vet as she was heaving Friday AM - I haven't had a cat for years so that was scary. I thought ok it's because she is eating her kitty grass so anyway Friday afternoon she wakes up from her nap and the same thing occurs. So I got her over to the vets that afternoon for a 5:20 appt. We also yesterday Saturday found some coughed up hairballs.

Her vet visit on Friday was uneventful. He said her tummy felt normal and that I should take her grass away which I did (I guess he wants to rule out that the grass might be the cause for the upset tummy). But he gave me two cans of RC intestinal health formula (high fiber) and told me to feed that in the evening and next morning. He said that if she starts to vomit again to bring her back for x-ray. Well she didn't eat too much of it but did eat some of her dry food (Diamond Naturals). She self feeds using about a 1/2 cup full out of her slim ball. So Saturday alll day no issues till Saturday evening when she started that awful heaving and let out a loud meow. She hacked up a piece of dental floss! This cat likes to get into everything - I told my dad not to throw floss in his waste basket of his room and unfortunately she must of got a hold of it. I showed him the hacked up piece and he got scared and removed the waste basket from his room. Now kitty has eaten string before from a toy and fortunately passed it and has been fine since. We also like I said found a few wet hacked up hairballs. But these last few times nothing comes up except the water she just drank. She spent the night on my bed cuddled next to me and was awful thirsty this AM and had a big drink and I heard her eat a few kibble well the heaving started again. I called the vet and am going to take her in today. She also must be constipated as she has not passed any stool since Friday. I also gave her some Laxatone yesterday but that hasn't done anything. She is a medium-length Maine **** Mix with a big bushy tail therefore I think the reason for the hairball hacks.

Right now she is sleeping on her post and it's 7:00 AM and I'm waiting for the vet to open at 9:00 AM. I left a message at 6:00 AM. Can you tell how worried I am?? I love my kitty. She is the friendliest most affectionate almost 8-month old kitty and couldn't bear anything to happen to her.

Please send vibes that all goes well today!

Thank you for reading!!!

Kitty loves being near me and my Mom when we are on the computer.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
What a beautiful cat.
This is shedding season, and there have been several cats with similar symptoms reported on the forum. Hope Kitty feels better soon.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Personally, I would suggest switching to a grain free all canned diet and adding some fiber like canned plain pumpkin (not pie filling) to help push the hair through. Also until her winter coat is shed out to give her a daily grooming.

If you really want her to stay on dry I would at least feed a canned meal once a day and add the pumpkin(or some other fiber source). Also, if you do decide to keep her eating dry it will benefit her to look into grain free.

I'm no expert. I am just the owner of a former hair ball gagging, allergy ridden and UTI suffering cat whose diet thankfully fixed his problems.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I've beeen having hair ball problems with my kitty this last week too. Thankfully he seems much better now - hope yours gets well too. HUGS

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update on Kitty and Hairball Dilema (see previous post below)

So, I took Kitty to vet today and he examined her and did x-ray. He said there was some bunching of her intestine but didn't understand why she couldn't pass the impacted stool on her own. He said this could be serious and may result in death. He was concerned about the fact that I told him she had hacked up a string of dental floss. He told me (2) options conservatively treat or take her to Tufts University School of Vet Medicine Small Animal Emergency Hospital for ultrasound and possible enema. So I figured the second option was best. I have pet insurance so I figured I might as well use it! They took her in right away and let her settle down before vet could have a chance to examine. He said he didn't see an obstruction on x-ray but impacted colon. Since a dog had scared her and she was feeling really stressed out (tried to climb assistant's arm) they decided to wait and sedate her, give her something for tummy unsettleness and start IV fluid for dehydration. I didn't say goodnite to her because I felt if she saw me she would start meowing. They are keeping her overnight and will do the ultrasound tomorrow so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. She had a slight fever but that might be due they said to the stress.
I called the vet she saw at her regular vet clinic today as he wanted to know results and he said ok call me back again tomorrow to let me know how she is doing.

Please send vibes that she will not need surgery.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Tufts is a great place...she's in good hands. Hope they get her fixed up soon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Call from Tufts regarding Kitty Care!

So I received a call this evening that they want to do ultrasound tonight instead of waiting till tomorrow as the vet is concerned about one small area in her small intestine.

Thank you so much for purrayers and kitty headbutts. Kitty thanks you too for all the good vibes!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tufts is Great! 2nd Call and Some Good News!

Kitty had her ultrasound and they did not see anything in the small intestine. What they did say is that she may have a whipworm?? She is not an outdoor kitty so they said she may have gotten this subclinically like when I got her at 9 weeks it may have already been there and they will deworm her tonight and then send her home with pills or powdered form med. She did eat for them and did get some more hairballs up. No enema was required because with the fluids they think her bowels will move on her own. They will re-radiograph tomorrow AM and then she should be ready to go home. I asked if she was being more friendly - they said that well we heavily sedated her for the ultrasound so she is much calmer.

Off to do research on whipworms.......yick!!!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes me too, reading all this is giving me flashbacks to a couple of weeks ago with my Monkey-cat.. we thought she had a hairball, turned out to be pancreatitis. Thankfully, it is an easy treatment. Hope your baby gets better fast!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Kitty endoscopy went well and they we're able to get a piece of string out of her stomach. I thinking it was a fringe from a rug from what they described. I decided to cut all the fringes off the rug in my dad's room. I was able to remove them all and did no damage to the rug. I think it actually looks better!

A vetinary student called me this evening and said it took about 10 minutes and she is her fiesty self and eating. He said hopefully now the bowels will move along. She is staying one more night. Thank you for all the kind comments.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Didn't you have a string eating incident a month or two ago? You're going to have to be really careful going forward not to leave anything around. I suggest you very carefully go room to room and deal with anything that even vaguely resembles string or could become string. I know I can't leave pants with drawstrings hanging within reach of Holly (like on a door knob)...she chews 'em right up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts