Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we had kitty declawed[front & back] about a little over a yr. ago[she was like 8 months old], 'cuz i'm in a wheelchair and she was shredding my legs. about a month later some of the back ones started growing back, so we took her back and they removed them again. about 6 months after that it happened again. we got 'em removed again. now two nails were coming back, so we had a different veteranarian remove 'em yesterday.

why would they grow back in the first place?
if they come back this time, what should i do? let them grow or keep having them removed?

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
When they are growing back, if they are not causing her any pain i would leave it. Everytime they come back and she is having them removed again it must be causing her a huge emount of pain. I know you said you are in a wheel chair, but may i ask why you had her declaed other than that? Cats a very easy to train esp if you have a scratch post or two, and a few firm "no!"'s Going back and having them taken off every time must be stressing her out a lot, like i say not to mention the pain.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
toenails

Sorry, I have to disagree. Re-growing nails cause a great deal of pain, and often become abscessed. It is necessary to have them surgically removed.

They are re-growing is because the toe amputation (declaw) was not properly done in the first place, and not all of the bone was removed. If the vet fails to completely amputate that first toe bone, the bone crest will try to grow the nail back. Because it's been severely injured, the nail grows abnormally. Unfortunately it's very common for this to occur, I've seen it up to ten *years* later! Yet another sad reason to avoid declawing in the first place!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't agree with declawing. i think it's mean. she just kept shredding my legs and she would leave claw marks on the dogs faces. i didn't want her to put their eye out.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
If it's just the back, its better than the front ones growing back in. I would leave them alone if they weren't hurting the kitty. My cats are declawed in the front and they rarely use their back claws only once in a blue moon when they are using me as a launch pad to go jump off. Hope your kitty isn't in much pain from all the procedures. <<))

1 - 5 of 5 Posts