Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the emergency vet today because we noticed Kodak crying when he was going to the bathroom, and going often. They said his bladder was completely empty, and couldn't get a sample of urine. He's eating here and there, but not as much as he usually does. They put him on Buprenorphine for pain and Prazosin to help his urethra relax to ease him in going. He's still in the litter box every half hour or so, small amounts. I bought that litter that is supposed to change colors if there's an issue, but his pee is still coming up yellow-light orange, and that's still in the color code as 'normal'. He's not drinking a lot either, though, he's on a diet of wet food, and he's eating a little of that here and there. I was told to monitor him, so he's the only one with access to that litter specifically. I hope it's just a UTI, so we can do antibiotics, but I'm assuming since the litter is showing the urine as normal, it's probably blockage. :? Guess we wait and see, unless there are any other suggestions offered up here. If he doesn't eat before bed tonight, I'm going to break out my emergency can of Friskies to try and entice him.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was able to get him to eat last night, early this morning, and just a few minutes ago by topping his wet food with Bonito flakes. It definitely entices him to eat, I'm assuming it's the awful smell lol. Still about the same in litter box usage. Outwardly, he's acting normal, still running about, just stopping off and the box to use it more often (and not really crying anymore when he does) :Sigh: I'm hoping he stays the same until I can get to my regular vet on monday with him. The emergency vet is so expensive... I can afford it if I need to, I have savings, but I would much rather not kill the bank if I don't have to. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My thoughts are with you and Kodak. Our cat had a blockage back in the spring but he couldn't urinate on his own at all, and he ended up having surgery. Since Kodak is urinating a bit, hopefully he will make it until tomorrow so he can see his regular vet. We had to go to an emergency hospital and it was not a pleasant experience. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As of right now, he's acting completely like himself. He hasn't been going to the litter box as often, and playing and romping around with Waffles as usual. I'm wondering IF he had crystals he was trying to pass, maybe the relaxer made them pass and he's (hopefully) able to go normally now. I'm still taking him in tomorrow to be seen. I would also assume if he hasn't been going as often and he WAS blocking, if I were to pick him up and gently massage his pelvic area, he would exhibit signs of discomfort, which he hasn't yet. I'm still keeping a very watchful eye until we can get him to see Dr. Ryan tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
If he's still eating and eliminating normally tomorrow and showing no further signs of urinary distress, I would recommend holding off on taking him to the vet. Vet visits are stressful for most cats, and stress could actually cause his urethra to constrict and restrict urine flow again. You want him to remain happy and relaxed so that the Prazosin can do its job and keep things flowing smoothly.

Of course if he starts exhibiting signs of urinary difficulty again, you should get him right to the vet.

Laurie

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem with doing that is with my work schedule, I can't take him to my normal vet during the week. I have Mondays available. He actually just went a couple of drops and there's blood in it. Definitely taking him in today.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, my vet admitted Kodak for catheterization so they can get a urine sample and see what's causing the problem. I'll know what's up by 4 today hopefully. Keeping my fingers crossed for a good (and easy) outcome. Poor boy!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We just picked Kodak up from the vet, nothing yet, they won't have the urinalysis until tomorrow around 4. Hoping it's nothing serious! After Monkeys this spring, then Waffles, and now him, my savings has taken a beating.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only thing that puzzles me, is that they've all been on high quality wet food for all but 1 meal (and even that is a high quality no by product small small portion of kibble each first thing in the morning) the other 3 meals a day are typically merrick wet food. We also have a petmate fountain to entice them to drink. Kodak (up until recently) is also a fan of drinking out of the tub before I turn on the shower head in the morning. Both vets we saw asked me first thing when I got there if I fed wet or dry, and seemed pleased when I told them what his diet was. I'm wondering if my vet (if it's crystals) is going to try and put him on the SD urinary tract diet. I'm not a fan of the ingredients in their foods so far.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I hope Kodak doesn't have anything serious. I wanted to tell you about our cat. Our cat kept going to use the litter box. I thought he was possibly blocked or had a UTI. I took him to the vet and they kept him overnight to keep an eye on him. They ran a urine test and it was negative. He ended up having cystitis (inflammation of the bladder). They put him on Cosequin for cats which is used for joint problems in cats but it is also prescribed for what he has. He has a capsule sprinkled on his wet food everyday. He has been on Cosequin for almost 2 years and he hasn't had anymore bladder problems. Maybe ask your vet if this could be his problem.

My cat also eats the majority of his food as wet. He does love a couple tablespoons of dry food everyday. I was told to add some water to each of his wet meals to get more fluids in him. A couple times a week I also give him tuna water which he loves. At least by doing this I know he is getting some extra fluids.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have some feliway spray in the house. It was given to us by a friend when he moved, as he only needed it to spray his carrier. Kodak is a pretty laid back guy, very easy to just kind of do whatever around. We like to call him our breathing sack of potatoes. But i'll definitely take that into consideration. If it turns out he has cystitis inflammation, I'll definitely ask about that treatment. We're definitely going all wet if we possibly can, problem is he's a kibble lover. If I put some of his kibble in a bowl with water and he takes it.. would that be good enough for now? Typically it isn't a problem, but since he's started feeling under the weather, he's been turning his nose up a soft food, but runs for the kibble I put out for the others in the morning. I have been able to entice him to eat the wet food the past couple of nights by sprinkling some bonito flakes over top of it. I'll try mixing them in tonight to get him a nice full tummy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Our cat also loves dry food. But I only give him 2 tablespoons a day. If your cat will eat it with water added I think that would be ok. But his diet still has to be mainly wet food.

If he does need to be on Cosequin it isn't really expensive. I think a bottle of 80 pills are about $15 on amazon. I usually buy a couple bottles at a time. It seems cheaper if you buy the bundle with more than one bottle. And it qualifies for their free shipping if you spend more than $25. My cat only weighs 10 pounds so he takes one pill a day. It is a powder I just open up the capsule and mix it in with his wet food. I think it is chicken and fish flavored so he eats it without any problems. I do have to make sure our other cat doesn't eat his food so I only give him a couple tablespoons of wet food when I give it to him, that way he eats that right away. I just keep an eye on him when he eats to make sure the other cat doesn't try to eat his food with the medicine in it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So we got the results back from the vet, looks like struvite crystals. They basically are treating by having him eat only soft food, with water mixed in. No fish flavored foods either. 100ml per day of sub-q fluids under the skin, to keep him going to the bathroom, and a pain reliever. I have to try out different types of water dishes, and different types of water (tap, spring, and filtered) to see which he likes to drink more, in hopes to entice him to drink often. I suppose I should start tonight, offering him water in a metal, glass, and plastic dish, to see if he prefers one of those over another. He's got a petmate fountain, he seems to like that alright. He does make a bee line for my glass of filtered water that I take to bed with me, so maybe I should try filtered in a glass bowl? What changes have you all made for your kitties with crystals? I was also supposed to get the wet food prescription for cats who get crystals, but they were out, and should get more in thursday. I also bought a tube of GNC's ultra mega Urinary Tract Support supplement. I would link it, but it's a new product, and I can't even find it on the GNC website, let alone any others (strange I picked it up at Petsmart) ANy suggestions are welcome and very much appreciated!

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Chiquita is always more interested in what Papa's drinking then what's in her bowl.
She'll drink my milk and my water, I keep a low tumbler of filtered water on the coffee table for her.
I also fill her water bowl with the same water from the Brita pitcher I drink.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I'll try that with Kodak then, and put a glass out for him too when I have mine. We get ours from the brita pitcher as well.

I'm also wondering if anyone uses this: Wysong Biotic pH- ? Wysong Healthy, Natural Cat and Dog Supplement

If that would help, I'd be far more up to that, than turning his meals upside down with the SD urinary tract food, since he can be a picky eater to begin with.

For being such a laid back cat, doing the sub-q fluids tonight was a trial. Monkeys, who HATES to be handled and held still, was much easier to deal with than he was. We started out placing him in my lap, with the SO rubbing him and making him feel comfortable, talking in low soothing voices. When the needle stuck, he was up and out of my lap. We then tried putting him on the floor, with his favorite rug beneath him, holding firm, but not super tight, so we didn't upset him, same result. The last time, which was successful, I had to brace him between my knees and hold him tight until I got the needle in. 100ml goes quick and he was fine, as if nothing happened, when we were done. Are there any pointers I need for this?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts