Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor little monkey.

I took her to a new vet because she was still peeing (actually more like leaking) on the couches and seemed like she was incontinent. The vet felt her little tummy and said he felt something that could be a stone, but it was rare for kittens. I gave the go ahead for an x-ray and Kota peed while they were doing it. The vet told me he noticed a little blood in her urine. When he brought out the x-ray, the stone was very prominent and he basically he said there were 2 options, a diet that may dissolve the stone and surgery. He said that if I didnt mind the pee lasting a little longer, I should try the diet first because she is so young and the stone looked like the type that could be treated with the diet. (because it wasnt speckled in the xray, I forgot what he said it was likely made of) I agreed to try the diet first. He also gave me some drops (Amoxi) and said he would see me in about 45 days.

The food is science diet canned, I will be getting a case of it on Tuesday.
So, one hour and $220.00 later, here I am. :D I am very relieved that I know what is wrong with my baby now. I seriously would have paid anything to help her get better. I hope I made the right choice by choosing the diet first. Has anyone with my situation seen positive results with this? Is there anything I can do to "up" the chances of it working, like give her some herbs or something? I know I have to work out a feeding time schedule now, so that Stix doesnt eat any of her food...the little piggy. <<))

·
Registered
552 Posts
Poor Kota. ))) I hope the diet works out OK, so that little cutie will start feeling better.

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your kind words. If you saw Kota, you would never know there was anything wrong with her! She is bullying Stix around as usual and using him as a punching bag. :lol: I hope this diet thing works out.

In the meantime I remembered what kind of stone the vet said Kota had...it was called "struvite". I read some stuff online and the diet may only have a 50% chance of working. If it doesnt I would have to go for the surgery. I also read some things on Dr Jean's site and I have decided to switch both cats to wet food exclusively. I had them on Felidae dry AND canned but as soon as Stix finishes his last bag of dry I'm not buying another. I wish the Felidae canned came in more flavors though, it only comes in two and I don't want Stix to get bored of it. Maybe I can throw some Wellness in once and a while....

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I believe Wellness comes in five flavors. My cats seem to like each one just the same.

Tell Kota I said g'luck with the stone. :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Wellness just brought out a bunch of new flavors, including one with lobster in it. I swear, these guys eat better than we do half the time! However, for cats prone to struvite, it's best to avoid fish as much as possible.

It's very unusual for such a young kitten to have a stone that big; I would have to have just a wee bit of doubt that it's struvite simply because other types of stones can be caused by metabolic tendencies that could be genetic, and thus show up so early. However, let's hold a good thought that it's struvite because it's the easiest one to prevent coming back. BTW you cannot tell from an x-ray what kind of stone it is.

If the food is Hill's s/d, be aware that it is *contraindicated* (i.e., dangerous) for kittens. So, that's something to consider when choosing your best option. Such an acidic diet can adversely affect their growth and development.

Another consideration is the many weeks it can take to dissolve a stone. If she's happy and doesn't seem painful, all well and good, but stones *can* be very painful, constantly banging around in there. This might actually be more of a problem when the stone is smaller; right now it is probably filling up her whole darn bladder most of the time and not moving around much. Stones can also cause long-term trauma, thickening and scarring of the bladder. Honestly, though I am not a great fan of surgery, I often recommend just taking the darn thing out to get it over with and save the cat weeks of potential discomfort. So...I guess what I'm saying is, you might want to get (yet another) opinion (mine doesn't count!), just to make sure you have a good grasp of all the factors when making your decision.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Dr. Jean.

I guess the reason I didnt choose the surgery first is because I was thinking "okay, if I had a stone, what would I want?". I know its way different for cats, but I just wanted to go the least invasive route. I do understand now about the possibility she may be in more pain when the stone gets smaller.

I didnt ask the vet how much the surgery was because I didnt want to have a heart attack, but Im praying its still in the 3-digit range. :shock:

One last question...if it comes to surgery, do you think it would be weird if I asked the vet to spay her while he is already *in there*? I mean, its the same area, right? Or would that be too much for her?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Oh heck yeah. Once he's in there, do it all! If he's a competent surgeon doing the spay will only add a few minutes to the procedure. Why waste a perfectly good anesthesia and abdominal incision?!

Now the one caveat I can think of is that the bladder incision is lower in the abdomen than a spay incision and he may be reluctant to slice her from head to toe, as it were, but if you're okay with it, shouldn't be a problem.

Now don't just take my advice and go ****-bent for surgery; do talk to your vet and maybe one other for other opinions. Just 'cuz I have a big mouth doesn't mean I'm *always* right! :oops:

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Good luck with Kota, I hope she gets better soon with the food. I just got my cat hip surgery today for a dislocated joint and it cost near $900 for the visit and the surgery! <<))

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh poor Kota.. so young too! I have had a battle of epic proportions with my Cali and bladder stones. Turns out finally getting a diagnosis was more than 1/2 the battle. She had struvite stones and was on the same diet that was perscribed for your kittie (if memory serves me correctly). After a good long while on the diet, her stones dissolved.

Unfortunately, Cali was neglected by my parents, and was never treated for a known bladder infection for approximately 6 months. So, it festered there, and I was not living at home at the time to see what was going on. All she needed was simple antibiotics at that point! When I noticed the full medication bottle in the fridge six months later I took Cali with me, and immediately to the vet. She was in bad shape for a long time, but that diet has helped her overcome this. We hope!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, the stones are a pain, BrodieCali. Kota is way better now, the diet worked and she is actually about to finish her last cans of food in a few days. She stopped showing symptoms about a month and a half into the diet but another xray revealed the stone was not all the way dissolved yet, so the vet kept her on the food a little longer.

What Dr. Jean had posted in this thread about the s/d diet affecting a kitten's growth and development seems to be true in my case. I dont know if Kota is still small because she is a Siamese mix, or if it was the food, but she does not seem to be growing!!! She is maybe 7 pounds at the max and will almost be one year old soon.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Pomponillia had the same thing happen to her except she ended up having the surgery. Her urine looked just like red Kool - Aid. She never went anywhere other than her litter box, but the plastic liners were all scratched up like she was in pain. They put her on the Waltham SO after that and she loves it. The Waltham SO is for cats prone to having stones or unrinary infections. They changed the name to Royal Canin I think. But I know what your kitty is going through so I wish her the best of luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts