Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 373 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister's cat, and Chica's brother, Kovie, went missing on Tuesday night after not returning inside after his nightly after-dinner trip outside (He uses the bathroom outdoors). Now, Kovie is known to be mischievious and adventurous and so they didn't start worrying until it started getting late and he still hadn't returned. They have been searching for him non stop since then. They've put up fliers, contacted all their local vets and humane societies, made online ads, and have been walking the neighborhood and going door to door. They have food out by the door, and his favorite bed too for a familiar scent. I'm going to drive down there today and join in the search, and maybe visit all the vets/humane societies in person to hang up more fliers.

Kovie is microchipped and he was wearing his collar with ID. We think he may have gotten trapped in a garage or something of the likes, for he is not the type of cat to go up to strangers or allow himself to be caught by someone while outside. Driving all around the area revealed no body, so we do not believe he was (or desperately hope that he wasn't) hit by a car.

Please wish Kovie a safe return home. If anyone has any stellar advice on things we can do to help him return home sooner, please share. It's his and Chica's 2nd birthday on Sunday, we would all be heart broken if he missed it. (We are all feeling heartbroken as it is)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
There is a good chance that Kovie is out on an adventure. You are doing everything right to get him back.

I would also suspect that he might either be up a tree or locked in somewhere. Is there any new construction in the area?

Did you have a few nice days in Wisconsin? After the cold winter, my cats stayed out longer than usual when it got nice last week. The overnight low was a balmy 30 degrees here last Saturday - haven't seen that since early December -and two of my cats preferred to stay out all night. (They can come in whenever they want to via a winterized cat door.)

I hope you have good news for us in the next day or two.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a nice day on Tuesday, so yes, we have been getting some nice weather. We did initially suspect that he was out on an adventure- he's pulled stunts like that before. But never for this long. And he is definitely the type to be chased up a tree by dog- which has also happened before. And my sister is keeping this in mind while she searches. There is also a nearby hobby farm with plenty of nooks and crannies and also lots of mischief available for cats to get into. She's been in touch with the owners and we are going to do a good search of the area together, today. There is not any construction, but there are plenty of places he could have been trapped nearby- mostly garages.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Is the area rural or suburban?

It is a horrible topic to me, but where I live it's fairly rural. Cats and dogs too still occasionally get caught in leg-hold or box traps. When I see 'Lost Cat' signs posted around here, that's what I think of first, especially from November to March, when it's open season.

Traps tend to be near ponds, streams and old buildings.
I hope this is not the case at all in your area, but worth a mention.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is not a rural area, for the most part. Where my sister lives is a fairly new neighborhood with apartments and townhomes. There is a cornfield nearby the hobby farm but that's about as rural as it gets. I don't think there is any trapping going on, but it's worth a look around and we'll keep that in mind. It is truly a horrible thing to imagine happening to that poor boy :-(

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Oh Kovie is so beautiful! I hope he returns home to your sister (and his own, so he doesn't miss birthdays!) ASAP. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and hope for his speedy (and healthy!) return.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getting ready to leave for my sister's... It seems like she is starting to lose hope and assume the worst, despite me trying to instill hope. :-( I hope we find him.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I am sending positive thoughts your way! Kovie is so beautiful, perhaps someone has him in their home warm and safe assuming he is a stray (I have had 'strays' brought to me that had collar and tags on) and they will begin searching for his people here soon.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I would feel very optimisitic about finding him.

I've lost count of how many times cats of mine have gone missing. For days, weeks, even months. They all came back. Like you, my world was upside down the entire time.

Cats almost always come back. It is the exception that they don't.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Sending positive thoughts.

Once my two year old cat was trapped in the next door neighbours garage for almost a week and we didn't know, so if you think that could be a possibility, I would suggest getting your sister to go door to door around the area and kindly ask her neighbours if she could take a peak in their garage/if they could check themselves when they have some time. Like I said, my cat was right next door, and no one knew! My dad only happened to hear a meow after about a week so he asked the neighbours if they could check their garage. They were shocked that the cat was in there, too! They'd had no idea.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We've been going door to door and talking to everyone we can. Still no luck. But my dad has offered to pay a reward, and people seem a lot more interesting in helping once we mention the reward. We also caught the kids as they got off the bus, and they all seemed very eager to help.

Still no word, but now we've got tons of fliers out there, we are doing all we can. It's just hard, because with all the apartments there are countless garages and sheds. And across the road there is also a trailer park. We searched there high and low, because there are tons of stray cats running around. We also ran into the lady who feeds the strays and gave her a bunch of fliers.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With so many garages and sheds around, I am almost fully convinced that he's gotta be trapped somewhere. We're planning on going out once its gets darker and quieter and calling for him, to see if we can hear a response. Searching on foot is so overwhelming.. there are SO many places, and so many people that we are weirding out. Other than that, I guess it's just waiting and hoping... :-/

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do the houses near there have window wells? If so, check those. A couple who lives in the same neighborhood as my parents recently had one of their cats not return home. It had for some reason jumped down the window well of a nearby townhouse.

Good luck and I hope you find Kovie soon!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We've been checking every nook and cranny we can think of, so far, nothing. He's wearing his collar, so we just can't figure out why anyone would try to take him in and keep him without calling us. Unless his collar fell off- but we've been keeping out eye out for it too, and still... nothing -_-

·
Registered
469 Posts
You should contact all the closest shelters (especially the closest kill shelter) with a picture and contact information.

One time we were notified of a cat going missing named Zahara. We didn't receive a picture, just that she was a long haired diluted tortie. 3 weeks later a guy came in trying to surrender a cat. We couldn't take her, it was the middle of kitten season and we were beyond full. But she matched the description of this missing cat. I begged him to take the people's number and call them, or even let me call them and have them come down. He refused and wouldn't allow me to do it. I still to this day don't know why. He left with the cat and refused to tell me what his plans were with it.

A week later the family brought me pictures of the cat. That cat that that man brought in WAS Zahara. If I had known I would have said I would take her home with me and then reunited them. It has now been a year and a half and that family never found their little girl. It makes me heart sick.

People bring in cats that are obviously pets all the time. We regularly had 'strays' brought to us with collars and tags on. The best way to contact the shelters is with an email and picture, that way they can print it and keep it up.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sarah has called all the area shelters and sent them pictures, and she plans on calling them every day. So far our efforts have been fruitless today, and it really is hard on the soul. We are all exhausted from searching all day long and from all the running around. We just don't understand how he could have just disappeared like that, with collars/tags on and everything! It feels like we are searching for a needle in a haystack.

It's gonna be another long night for Sarah, and I have to go back to Madison soon... :-(

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I remembered reading an article some time ago on how cats behave when they're lost or displaced and what you can/should do. I've now found it. I don't know if it will help, but I've posted the link just in case. This organization offers various services to lost pet owners, and I'm not suggesting you use those services...but you might find some of their tips/comments to be helpful. It made a lot of sense when I read it a while back. I really hope you find Kovie.

Recovery Tips: Lost Cat Behavior | Missing Pet Partnership

1 - 20 of 373 Posts